Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola
A word of warning about the whole fresh fish.....

Not all dogs can cope with the whole fresh fish, particularly oily fish like mackerel and herring etc. I know this from experiece....my two have iron constitutions and can eat more or less anything but the first time I fed a whole fish, they both regurgitated it within a few minutes
That's true...what one dog does well on / likes...isn't necessarily the same for all dogs

Mine just had some whole fish out in the garden, bought from the store for human consumption but it was a bit stinky though and Keena took hers and made it into a pile all together and then....went to roll in it Luckily we stopped her in time then she set about eating it...They have no trouble so far, but they have always had fish heads etc before anyway...If someone isn't sure about how there dog will do they can always try it in small doses first If the dogs can stomach it I would imagine it's much better then tinned
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Just a thought - but have you noticed how obsessed dog owners, but raw feeders in particular, seem to be with their dogs' poo ... ?
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the 'welcome back' messages. You can't keep a good girl down lol

Eggs are a good source of protein, but the protein is in the white - the yolks are fat and contain quite a bit of phospherous which can play havoc with the kidneys.
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Eggs are a good source of protein, but the protein is in the white - the yolks are fat and contain quite a bit of phospherous which can play havoc with the kidneys.
thanks for that, mine don't get many eggs, only about one a week but it's nice to know. I get some good chicken carcases from my butcher with all the meat and skin on the back and a fair bit of the breast meat too, very badly trimmed but great for my boys! The butcher also saves me loads of lamb bones during the week, mostly ribs, necks and backbones with some leg bones, I get my lamb breast from him too, they are quite large and are intended for people so there is loads of meat on them, they get these once a week and then usually veggies and fruit only as a separate meal. I also give mine sardines, whole hearts and tripe, I am going to start with the liver but I think I need to liquidise it first and add small amounts as I know they won't eat it otherwise. They have had the white minced fish from AMP without any problems so I may try some whole fish too at some point, just getting used to it all. The buthcer is going to get me some rabbits that have been ferreted rather than shot so no pellets and they will have those as a change. The only thing I am adding at the moment is keepers mix from dorwest and they would eat that from the tub given the chance! They are currently chomping on a small lamb leg bone each, they take a while to get through so peace and quiet here LOL

One thing I have noticed though is the increased energy levels and the fact that they don't seem to run out of steam, is that normal? Not sure I can keep up if it is LOL
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sansorrella
Thanks for the 'welcome back' messages. You can't keep a good girl down lol

The yolk contains just under half the amount of protein as the albumen & it also contains nearly all of the vitamins, nutrients & fats. On the evaluation scale most commonly used for assessing protein, egg is at the highest point, 100, and is used as the reference standard against which all other foods are assessed.

Phospherous is found in most foods, some with higher rates than eggs. Its needed to balance out the calcium, not just in dogs but humans too
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3