Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:04 PM

dog collars

at what age can i put a collar on sky ? and also while im here, is there an earliest age for microchipping? i had millie chipped when we first got her home (8 weeks) since im keeping sky ..can i have her done earlier? say 6 weeks?

julie
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2005, 12:26 PM
I would tend to put a collar on a puppy from the moment it comes home so it gets used to it straight away-same goes with lead training.

As for chipping,Vegas fortunately was done at the re-homing shelter,but Abe i had done while he was at the vets having his 12th week innoculation.Ask your vets as some practices may differ.
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
I would tend to put a collar on a puppy from the moment it comes home so it gets used to it straight away-same goes with lead training.

As for chipping,Vegas fortunately was done at the re-homing shelter,but Abe i had done while he was at the vets having his 12th week innoculation.Ask your vets as some practices may differ.

thanks steve ... my local dog warden chips the dogs for us .. she did millie at 8 weeks , not a nice thing to have done esp on a white dog (to much blood ) they tell you the chip is like a grain of rice ...well it is, but they dont tell you that the bl**dy needle that puts the chip in is the size of a mcdonalds drinking straw!!! do you think i could put a collar on sky younger than 8 weeks ? shes 3 weeks now ... im thinking of about 6 weeks?

cheers julie
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi Millie, I agree with Steve, I have always put a collar on my pups when I have brought them home as I think this helps towards the lead training when it starts, for them to be used to the collar at least. Same with the m. chipping, as early as possible.
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Hi Millie, I agree with Steve, I have always put a collar on my pups when I have brought them home as I think this helps towards the lead training when it starts, for them to be used to the collar at least. Same with the m. chipping, as early as possible.

thanks Helena , is the possibly an age that is considered to early for either collars or chips?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2005, 12:41 PM
collars even for short periods is better than nothing i know of breeders that put collars on the pups for id from 3/4 weeks.
get sky a soft cat collar to start with then work up to a dog one.
i think it depends on the vets and size of dog.
i know with ours they was done at 7/8 weeks but they are big pups, i would think 8/12 weeks is the norm.
give your vets a ring and ask if it can be done at the 8 week appointment.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:42 PM
I did it immediately - just a little, tiny baby one and I walked him on a tiny lead around the garden and house to get used to it. (He was better behaved on the lead then!)

Initially I left it on at night but I take it off now after reading some posts on here.
millies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by leo
collars even for short periods is better than nothing i know of breeders that put collars on the pups for id from 3/4 weeks.
get sky a soft cat collar to start with then work up to a dog one.
i think it depends on the vets and size of dog.
i know with ours they was done at 7/8 weeks but they are big pups, i would think 8/12 weeks is the norm.
give your vets a ring and ask if it can be done at the 8 week appointment.

thanks leo... im off to buy a likle kitty colar!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
we put a collar on indie at about 9 weeks. altho she had one on and off for a few weeks prior to having it on permanently so she could get used to it.

As for microchipping, indie wasnt chipped til her 2nd vaccination at 12 weeks as they said they didnt wanna do it at the first injection as it could be traumatic for her. Ask ur vet how they work, but start putting a soft collar on her now so she gets used to it
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Julie I think some breeders chip their pups before they go to their new homes, so presumably the can be chipped before 8 weeks - probably best to ask your vet

As for the collar, I'm no expert but if it was me and I really wanted to put a collar on a pup so little, I would use one of those soft cat collars at first to get her used to it

Obviously seek advice from someone more experienced before u do that, it's just what I would think about doing but I don't know if it's a good idea.... SB and Mini where are you!!!?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >