View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Hi I find although my dogs love a walk,in Fayes case she adores training,we have a long hallway and I sit at one end,I think its the intereaction giving her one to one,I also go through grooming,still havent got her to give me her paw,so I think its the bond you create which is important.Gemini54
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2013, 07:55 AM
That's reminded me - when I got Pepe the breeder told me that I should teach him a different number for each paw to make it easier to groom him - so when you say 'one' for example, he will know to lift up his left front paw.

I forgot.

But know I've been reminded, I shall have a go!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2013, 07:57 AM
The only thing that occurred to me when looking at the question was that obviously, even if training provides good mental exercise and tires them out, it is not going to provide the physical exercise to keep muscles toned etc. is it?
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Quite right Pat, which is why mine have a walk or run round first, before we start anything, then are left to play again after as well.
I hate seeing dogs that are just trained and trained and trained, and nothing else, They are like automatons
The numbering of the paws reminded me that I used to do that with my horse!!! Forgot all about it till then.
I just lift whichever paw I want up and say Let Me Have A Look and they oblige.
waggytail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Dogs definately need both physical and mental stimulation, however you do not have to be particularly physically fit yourself in order to provide the phyisical excercise your dog needs. nor do you have to just let your dog run around without you. you could do some retrieve work or searching with them instead. You could also do something that combines training with physicial excercise for example Rally O, Agility (a bit more energetic!) or even heelwork to music.

Likewise mental stimulation does not have to be "formal stuff" theres lots of great games, tricks etc that you can do at home to keep your dogs brain active.
Vicky88
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2013, 12:44 PM
No, well not trick training anyway. The find it game, yes!. She loves to find her ball and is always panting away afterwards.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks for all responses. I did the cardboard box trick yesterday using a clicker and it took maximum 5 mins to go from disinterest to actually sitting in the box. I do love clicker shaping, it's so clever.

I agree dogs need (preferably) offlead exercise and he gets 45 mins morning and evening, but just sometimes when I've been working all day an active walk just isn't appealing to me and I want some shortcuts to rely upon from time to time.

Does anybody know how to introduce verbal commands after clicker training?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Personally i think it depends what the training is i.e. basic commands vs puzzles etc.
Nothing will ever beat a walk in my books - i only have one dog and she likes to keep up to date with all the gossip in the village (i swear there is a patch of grass which is their [a social network]!!)
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2