register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Does your computer go on stand-by ok.
Yes 21 87.50%
No 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 12:20 AM
My computer goes on standby no problem but then sometimes decides to come back on all by itself when nobody is even near it :smt017 The main problem with ours is shutting it down completely at the end of the day. It shuts down and then comes back on again It sometimes takes 3 or 4 times to shut it down (I think its addicted to dogweb too )
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I never put mine on standby, its either running all day even when I am not on it, or switched off completely.

Mo
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2005, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by mo
I never put mine on standby, its either running all day even when I am not on it, or switched off completely.

Mo
Me too..its either on or off with the screensaver set to three mins but mostly on unless I am away, I am told this is better for the PC than constantly turning it on and off
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Don't speak to me about new ComputersAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
I can only get on the Internet/send receive emails if I disable my Norton Internet Security!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 08:57 AM
sometimes i have to restart mine because it wont come out of stand by
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
Hi myschievous, thanks for you input, I think they have built the computer on the cheap, I have triecd putting fairly basic programs on it and it refuses to play them, the problem I have found is that the graphics memory is too small and also it is shared with the main memory which was advertised as being 256mb which in actuall fact is only 224mb with the graphics taken the rest, so I think that once the year is up, I may suggest getting a graphics card and extra memory to bring it up to my specs.

Ian

That is the problem with on board graphics.
I had that prob with my other computer, so I bought a graphics card, cost about £60 (Geforce).

My OH has just built me a new computer...case, motherboard, processor, harddrive, graphics card, memory floppy drive, PSU, and it cost less than £200. (Didn't need the other parts - took them out of my cold PC).

He has priced up a computer for his mate, including a 19" TFT, for £600.
Computer parts are fairly cheap these days, so £500 is a decent amount for a comp I think!
sambo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Got to say i'm the same i leave mine on all day and only turn it off midnight or later as it is a lot easier than waiting for it to start up etc if you need to search for something or want to catch up on all the gossip

I have had a letter today from telewest who provide my internet to say they have upgraded my speed from 256k to 512k free of charge that was nice of them wasnt it lol.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2