Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Montyfriend
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2015, 07:28 AM

Woody behaviours

I have a 2 year old colliex.Great with meeting people outside the house.Though if anyone new walks past the front garden.He runs along the fence and barks aggressively. I'm sure if I let him out to them he would be friendly. Just hate the impression passers by have of my best friend. HELP.
..Woofy behaviours.
Diezel
New Member!
Male 

20-09-2015, 08:26 AM
It sounds as if he's guarding his land boarders for the rest of your question I have no suggestions. only joking but have you considered a muzzle..lol
Montyfriend
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2015, 08:42 AM
I don't think he needs a muzzle as he would be fine if they stopped to interact with him.it's more the woofing that's a problem. He seems to need to woof to let us know someone is near his patch. Just need to know how to stop him feeling so defensive
Diezel
New Member!
Male 

20-09-2015, 08:53 AM
You could try a six foot brick wall around the property? but seriously I don't think there is a solution to the barking, in my opinion he's doing what comes naturally and telling those the other side of the fence this is me and this is my territory so beware.....
Diezel
New Member!
Male 

20-09-2015, 08:56 AM
I've changed my mind there maybe a way.
Have you tried getting a friend to stand on the opposite side of the fence and hand him treats whenever he stops barking.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2015, 08:58 AM
If you let him carry on doing this, you are letting him practise the behaviour .
I wouldn't leave him outside unattended,( if you do) . the postman wont come in to deliver your letter and if he accidently hurts anyone , you could will be sued.

If you let him in the garden , then stay with him all the time and you can train him not to do this .
You can countercondition him and if you cant stop him running up and down you could put him on a lead or long line and a harness.

http://www.training-your-dog-and-you...ditioning.html

There's is a GSD a few doors down from me. let loose in the front garden and it barks! It scares my dogs . it is a real nuisance so bear in mind that your neighbours might find the barking annoying.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Montyfriend View Post
He seems to need to woof to let us know someone is near his patch. Just need to know how to stop him feeling so defensive
Of course he does, this is just normal in a 'pack' animal, if you listen carefully you should note that it is three rapid mid tone barks. This is what our Rianna gives us as a warning strangers are approaching. When we lived in a very rural area I trained her to do this and she could pick up on a man pushing his bicycle beyond two hairpin bends and at least half a mile away

Barking is not aggression it is a form of communication, there are at leasst ten different types of barks 'tho I am not convinced we humans know them all or the definition given by 'experts' is necessarily correct, but the three in a row is IMO reasonably reliable.

Don't think you need to stop him, if his recall is good you could call him to you, stroke him, and let him see that this 'stranger' is not a threat and he can relax. Believe me you would be extremely grateful of his 'warning call' if it was two in the morning and some drugged up scumbag was preparing to break into your home and steal from you.

Aggression is a different matter, plenty of books and data available to learn about this so won't say anymore here.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-09-2015, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post
it is a real nuisance so bear in mind that your neighbours might find the barking annoying.
Why He's only doing what his genes are telling him, it's not his problem that the humans all live in an overcrowded island and think they rule the world and can do anything. Nasty creatures most of them.

Cars and motorbikes roar past, drunks walk down the street swearing and vandalising, kids are forever making excruiating noise, yet a poor dog trying to communicate with it's pack leader is condemed and the humans try to change it to their way of behaviour, it's hardly surprising there are so many of them when they are so aggressive, and think they are the 'master race'
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2015, 12:56 PM
I agree with you but really there is difference between a dog giving a couple warning barks and going beserk at every noise.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2015, 05:21 PM
The poster says that the dog is just barking at strangers not "going beserk at every noise". Personally I see nothing wrong with this at all.
The recommendation that you call the dog to you and then praise/reward it is counterproductive as the dog could consider this a reward for his dutifully warning you about the stranger.
If you must stop this perfectly natural behaviour then do not leave the dog alone in the front garden and use some form of distraction technique. Squeaky toy/whistle and with quiet persistence the "problem" should be dramatically reduced. However - here is the caveat - when your home is burgled don't blame your best friend for not warning you! Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >