Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2015, 09:43 PM

New puppy growling at older dogs

Hey guys!

So, those following the thread I started about possibly taking on a chi x dachie pup will know we have 2x older dogs (Cav x Westie and CKCS; 8 and 7 respectively).

We did take her, and she seems quite relaxed with us, although a little reticent at first, which I suppose is only natural- everything is different.

When all 3 dogs met, she backed away and had a bit of a bark, which I understood as 'get out of my face you massive unfamiliar dogs'... and to be fair she is tiny and they are very boisterous.

However, when we got home, she had a little growl and while I stopped that immediately, she seems a little overwhelmed, again, quite understandably.

My concern is that if they don't have a proper introduction, she will forever need to be kept away from them. Of course we want a nice, cohesive pack, and I guess I am asking how do I facilitate her transition into our family, whilst ensuring all dogs are happy.

I want to introduce them individually, but is there any information I need to know about how to ensure she bonds with them and there are no more signs of aggression, (allbeit probably due to nervousness). I really want this to work, but with experience of only spaniels and terriers, maybe I need some advice from those more knowledgeable.

Thank you for reading this. xx
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Hi again.

So the current situation is this- she ate, went to the toilet, and seems more relaxed. We took each of the older dogs, one at a time, and got them to sit in front of her while I held her, and fussed them both. Murphy was more interested in being reunited with Mia which meant Lola was more interested in him, but she didn't get too close, and when it was Mia's turn, she was licking me and Lola was burying her head in my armpit (!) But no more growling so far.

Maybe I over-reacted and expected too much too soon, but I was so terrified of any aggressive behaviour that I just want to make sure we do this properly. I would still welcome any thoughts.

Right now we are feeding her in the kitchen (and other dogs in their usual place in the living room) just in case their was any aggression over food, and to give Lola the time to eat. She is taking treats now where she wasn't on the journey home, and seems much more inquisitive and as I would expect of a pup her age. But, as I say, any experience/ advice would be welcomed xx
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-08-2015, 11:34 PM
Hi - I have always had at least 3 dogs (currently three large lurchers and one very feisty fell terrier) and quite often a good few more than that. All live in my home and in some 50 years I have only had one fight that resulted in serious injury (20 odd stitches). This occured because one particular terrier would insist on keep growling at a big old lurcher bitch and after nearly two years of this she turned and bit the little rotter (if truth be known he really had it coming).
My only advice would be to take it easy, slowly and as gradually as you can. I make it at least 2 weeks after the arrival of a new pack member before I let them run or play together. This gives them time to recognise the scent of the newcomer and be familiar with their appearance. I would stop your current dogs from being over familiar and hassling the new one so that it doesn't feel the need to react.
My largest dog is a very dominant deerhound/greyhound cross (46kgs in weight) and very dog aggressive outside the home. Even he is quite willing to accept young newcomers if I adopt this slow and steady method.
Good luck with the newbie, feel sure all will be well given time. Bye fer now.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2015, 11:37 PM
I think you have answered your own question
Relax and enjoy your pup! Try not to worry to much , if you are tense then your dogs will be . A little growling and barking is natural at this stage . I wouldn't stop your puppy doing it . I would let them mingle naturally, but not let them over whelmed your pup.
Dogs like to get to know each other in their own way, it cant be forced.
She must be feeling overwhelmed and tired , make sure she gets enough rest away from the other two.

BTW Congratulations!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

09-08-2015, 02:21 AM
As Gordon said - take it slowly.

Be sure to let the dogs mingle and let them sort their own issues out but supervise any aggression. Let them go. It may take a wee ticking off from the older dogs but they will soon sort out the natural hierarchy.

Feeding time is a different matter. I always give my dogs (young and old) their own space to eat. Food doesn't always bring about aggression but it can often spark a wee scrap.
Vawny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2015, 05:30 AM
Thank you everyone for all the kind replies.

I am one of life's worriers (!) but I do take the point about my worrying affecting them all. I do feel much better this morning in terms of intro's, and I will continue to take it slowly.

We are all up now, and she has had another little growl, but the older two are keeping their distance, for now at least. Tricky as I would rather she was on the floor with them than on the sofa with me, but for now a little distance is probably for the best.

We are off to the vets to get her micro-chipped and for her injection today, so hopefully lots of new experiences will help her adjust.

Seems only right I show you all a pic of our new arrival

Everybody, meet Lola:

Thank you again for all your advice. xx
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2015, 11:21 AM
oh shes just yummy!

She might feel a little unwell from her injection so perhaps its a good idea that you are apart.
Do you have a play pen , that would good for keeping them apart but they will get used to each other at eye level.

What was the situation where she growled?
I don't believe there is a strict heirarchy between dogs , it is fluid and changes in situations and as they grow to maturity and age.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Just so you're aware of this -- her growl is not aggression. It's her showing she's uncomfortable and afraid. I wouldn't correct HER for that. I would remove the other dogs and teach THEM to not approach her in a way that makes her uncomfortable.

And yes...one at a time! Don't let them overwhelm her.

When we brought home our new dog, our girl would give him all sorts of warning growls. We have not corrected her ONCE. Instead, we've stopped him from bothering her. HE has to learn. Not her. She's doing absolutely the right thing in telling him to back off.
Lindsay&River
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Sounds like she was overwhelmed by your bigger dogs getting too up close and personal. They will probably all be OK with some time but it's always good to take things slowly and of course not to leave them unsupervised for a few weeks.

I would feed them either in separate rooms or while you're there to supervise closely. Probably keep highly valued chews picked up and maybe toys too so there's no possessiveness.

One thing that has really helped my dog bond with foster dogs or visiting dogs is to take them on a group walk together. That helps them do something fun together and puts you in a leadership role.

One potential concern I thought of is how you are holding her on the couch with you. Did you say she growls from your lap when your other dogs approach? I would just be careful you're not creating an opportunity for her to guard you from your other dogs. But maybe I misunderstood.

Here's a post I wrote on introduing a puppy to an existing adult dog. It might give you some additional ideas.

https://www.dogids.com/blog/6-tips-f...our-adult-dog/

Congrats on your new dog!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Lola is gorgeous
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >