View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I would be the same kerriebaby, I just tell owners to imagine I was a car, if they do not like their dog being booted, then control it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
My 1st dog was a border collie. She was never on a lead and very well behaved. I would never have another one though.
Most of the BC's I meet nowadays are snappy and I don't like them as a breed. I avoid them.
Don't know if it's me or not but, when I had mine they were all long haired and quite deep muzzled. Nowadays they seem to be pointy faced skinny things.
Well if I look back at the majority of the collies we have had over the years they have mostly been longcoated and, imo, good looking dogs At the moment we have five longcoated and three bare-skinned. My own personal preference remains for the longhaired, black/white types (and they are the type I will continue to have).

I don't see that many "pet" collies, so not sure what the preference is in the pet/sport collie world at the moment.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 02:47 PM
There is a BSD who goes around attacking everything that moves (its off lead, and muzzled, and dog/people aggressive) that no longer goes anywhere near my three. Its been booted once too often, and its owners have had many a tongue lashing from me
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
There is a BSD who goes around attacking everything that moves (its off lead, and muzzled, and dog/people aggressive) that no longer goes anywhere near my three. Its been booted once too often, and its owners have had many a tongue lashing from me
Jamie and I went into foot-action with someone's dogs once but it is not something I hope I will ever have to repeat. We were walking along one of the Norfolk Broads and there was a man coming with 2 pitbull-type dogs on leads. I recalled Parker, leashed him and the man put his dogs on his boat and closed the door.
Somehow they got out and they were both charging at Cherry's head growling. I attempted to kick one of them away and Jamie the other. The bloke got very arsey and said we over-reacted but I am not going to risk my dogs being attacked again and Cherry and Parker would not appreciate dogs charging up in their face growling!

Unfortunately I had changed coats that evening and not transferred the pet corrector-typical!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I do find that many BC's will charge in, attempt to nip and then rush away. There is one over on the neighbouring estate whom we see regularly over the fields. It's quite a coward and never comes over if I have all 3 of my dogs but if I have just one (particularly Jessie whom it deems to be an easy target) it charges. The owner never attempts to call it off, he just accepts this is the way his dog is.

I've got collies of my own, always had collie types so although I do understand why some collies do this, I do not find it acceptable that owners take it for granted without correction. Maybe i'm less tolerant because mine dont have that behaviour...
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:42 PM
You poor thing, how annoying.

If it wasn't for out of control unfriendly offlead dogs I could get my third Akita, and happily walk 3 together.....*whistles*
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I'nm afraid i'd have been asking why he didn't put it on a lead when he saw you approaching,one, your dog is onlead i never let my dogs run up to on lead dogs i always put them on the lead and two his dog doesn't like small dogs so its his responsibility to put it on a lead. Some people just think they can carry on as they like with no regard for anyone else.
HoneyBunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi everyone thank you for your kind replies

As for picking her up I thought it was the best thing to do.

I was in shock. I was scared and the man did not stay around long enough for me to have a go at him.

I have a huge set of bite marks on my leg and a lovely bruise to go along with it. Around where I live we have a lot of nasty BC and labs.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:42 AM
Yeah that's why I hate bc's sorry if I offend any enthusiasts bit there was this lady that had 2 at the stable where I used to board my horses & they were nasty to say the least. One went after Izze (this is when she was a young dog, about 1 1/2 or so) Izze of course defended herself accordingly & because of that to this day she gets oj edge when dogs bark or growl or when she sees a dog in the distance, even if she knows them. She settles once they get closer & she realizes they are familiar.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I don't see that many "pet" collies, so not sure what the preference is in the pet/sport collie world at the moment.
In general the nasty snappy collies that rush in, are under trained pets bought from farmers for £50,
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »