Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
I have a white cat, and she has to have sun cream on her ears in the summer to prevent skin cancer. So would the RSPCA like to ban white cats? How are they going to do that? She's a random-bred moggy!
Exactly!!! Genetic things like this happen every so often, but if it gives the animal a disadvantage in evolutionary terms, them these traits die out. That's a world away from humans interfering in the breeding of animals to the extent that it severely compromises the health of the breed or causes suffering because of the physical traits we've bred to exaggerate.

I'm no fan of the way the RSPCA spends the cash donated by the public. But I do have some sympathy with the fact that it seems to be speaking out against the exaggerated traits that humans deliberately breed for in dogs, for no other reason than human preference/aesthetics & that can cause suffering to those dogs, be it by sunburn, skin diseases, HD, unable to have natural births etc etc.

Maybe the RSPCA could be accused of hypocrisy in some areas & maybe the funds they have could be spent in far better ways. But they do perform a function in prosecuting cruelty cases (& yes, I know that there are plenty of times they don't as well!) but as far as I know, there are very few charities that do launch, fund & publicise such prosecutions.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Are you implying that those of us who don`t bath, cream and pluck our dogs have smelly houses?
How rude!
And how ignorant.
who on here plucks their dogs or was that added for effect?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Are you implying that those of us who don`t bath, cream and pluck our dogs have smelly houses?
How rude!
And how ignorant.
and how unsurprising.

It is easy to turn to insults when you are in a tight corner though. Especially when you don't have a leg to stand on.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Why would she be in a tight corner?? what exactly has she got a leg to stand on for??? This is getting a joke now....But then again certain busy bodies are always right...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
MMMMM. do you have the time to wait, it could take a while
Since some of us have lives in real time as well as on the net it could well take a time!

I bath them when they roll in nasty smelly things---and that is for my benefit.

We have one we can't get bathed regardless of how smelly he is I know it is not needed for the dog!

Don't quite see the connection between bathing for my comfort and having to cream dogs skins to make them comfortable.

Sadly as other breed fanatics have found and demonstrated it is easier to ignore it and carry on unless forced to change.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Ohh rune, nothing needs changing, and nothing needs ignoring..This is where you show you have a massive problem with showing..well pet people will protect their hairless skin...Its not something done just for the shows.... - hairless dogs dont have hair to protect their skin....and as most hairless breeds have been around longer, even thousdand of years before your coated breeds I am not sure what you are saying as with regards to carrying on breeding dogs that will need its skin protected.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Why would she be in a tight corner?? what exactly has she got a leg to stand on for??? This is getting a joke now....But then again certain busy bodies are always right...
Well----no one has actually answered my question have they?

You said you would stop showing if you couldn't cream the dogs----so you must think it is important to them for their comfort. So I asked if it was right to breed a dog which needed to be creamed---JB won't answer because she says she agrees with CC that they don't ALL need it.

So should the ones that DO need it be bred from?

It is a simple yes or no and by not answering you are answering!

Again insults are not really a good form of defence when you are in a corner. I haven't said I am right---I have just asked a question which appears to be unaswerable.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Ohh rune, nothing needs changing, and nothing needs ignoring..This is where you show you have a massive problem with showing..well pet people will protect their hairless skin...Its not something done just for the shows.... - hairless dogs dont have hair to protect their skin....and as most hairless breeds have been around longer, even thousdand of years before your coated breeds I am not sure what you are saying as with regards to carrying on breeding dogs that will need its skin protected.
I didn't link it to showing---I asked if it was right to carry on breeding----blow whether it has gone on for years---I could list you many things which have gone on for years. Doesn't make them right!

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Ohh I am in no corner Rune, dont be fooled.
I will continue to use cream on my dogs if you or others like it or not, just the same as most mothers would on a baby. Is a baby that has not had cream on uncomfortable? NO. But the cream is still used to beneifit the skin.

In the summer, the hairless dogs may need the skin protecting against the sun, mainly them with pink spots ect.. But then again I have heard of peoples with westies, even white collies and other breeds with pink skin applying sun cream..

Through out winter, the hairless can get dry skin with the heating and other such things.
After I have bathed the dogs I apply cream, again the same as you would with a baby..It may not need it, it wont suffer without it..But applying it will keep the skin soft and moist.

I mean no offensive here but if you truely believe that dogs who have their skin creamed are bad examples of a breed, not worthy of breeding, are suffering or what ever else you have cocked up - you really are lossing the plot..

- and I said I would stop showing yes, through principles..I will not be told what I can and cant do by people that no nothing of a breed because they fear the back lash of the general public - and then theres people that hide what they do because of forum members such as yourself.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I didn't link it to showing---I asked if it was right to carry on breeding----blow whether it has gone on for years---I could list you many things which have gone on for years. Doesn't make them right!

rune
and show me where I have said something that has gone on for years makes it right!

Maybe you should look up where hairless breed orginate from, you may find the weather in the contries they orinate from are alot different from the UK..Maybe this is a reason skin needs abit more care...Taking pride in your animal, and keeping it at its best causes no harm.

Next you will be telling us that hairless breeds should stay where they orginated, even that people shouldnt bath or cream their skin
Page 6 of 13 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »