Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
It was Frank Kane, who said the dog int he picture is less exaggerated than some in that breed, which I agreed with btw.. you have to remember that "Rome was not built in a day" and its going to take many generations to achieve breeds with less exaggeration.

So on the whole for that breed in particular and what FK said, then yes, I think said dog is less exaggerated (folds of skin) than others in his breed.
So the others are worse---that is sad. Sad that the breeders can't/won't see that it is a problem.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:24 PM
If the RSPCA hadn`t decided to have a bit of a flounce and not have a stall at Crufts...
they could have spoken directly to the breeders they were concerned about.
Of course publishing a letter via the press (no postage! cool!) is a much easier option.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
So the others are worse---that is sad. Sad that the breeders can't/won't see that it is a problem.

rune
Some are much worse...
Could not help but think of nora batty when i seen one walking away from me ..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What do you think?

I thought it was a very good example. Less skin than that of its native counterparts too, much less in fact, so great news overall.

Dont forget this is an ancient breed that has not been here too long and Italian stock mainly was used, they ask for:

The Neapolitan Mastiff is a heavy-boned, massive, awe inspiring dog bred for use as a guard and defender of owner and property. He is characterized by loose skin, over his entire body, abundant, hanging wrinkles and folds on the head and a voluminous dewlap. The essence of the Neapolitan is his bestial appearance, astounding head and imposing size and attitude. Due to his massive structure, his characteristic movement is rolling and lumbering, not elegant or showy
So as you can see, the UK dogs are far less wrinkled than that, good move!
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:21 PM
On the final night coverage they had a vet, the KC and someone from the Animal Health Trust on and all of them said that things were far from perfect but moves were being made to improve them and would continue to be made.

Not much glossing over in that!

Ali x
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 10:36 PM
I think the RSPCA need to get their own house in order before slamming others.
They are the richest charity in this country who bank in tax free countries and cant fund their own branches who have to beg for handouts to feed the dogs in their care.

Breeders are trying to improve their breeds and to have this charity expecting changes to happen over night is very short-sighted.
they need to support the breeders not berate them and turn them away.

its the puppy farmers and BYB's they need to be dealing with more effectively.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Everything they said in the letter was pretty much true. Not sure their tactics are the best but in this instance they've done no wrong.

I know a few on here have strong negative feelings toward the rspca so anything they did would probably be criticized in some way.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
Everything they said in the letter was pretty much true. Not sure their tactics are the best but in this instance they've done no wrong.
It's the wrong target though.

Nobody gets together all the dogs bred by puppy farmers once a year and parades them in front of the general public and TV cameras. If they did then Fit for Function would be a laugh, and you wouldn't have many passed as healthy by the vets & judges, not matter what they looked like.

To say that "all pedigree dogs" at Crufts are unhealthy is a total farce when 5,000 pedigree puppies from one Irish farm alone are sold in the south of the UK through dealers, and many thousands more in the rest of the country. These are the untested, unhealthy ones.... mass produced through an unregulated industry.

At least the judges and vets at Crufts this year were instructed to look for signs of poor breeding and ill health, which is far more inspection and much nearer to a vet than many of those poor battery-farmed pups and their exhausted parents being exploited in Ireland & Wales ever get!!!

Show-bred dogs are in a minority compared to this disgusting trade, so to tar all pedigree dogs with the same brush is not only inaccurate, but reflects badly against all the breeders who are desperately trying to do it all right and breed healthy dogs ethically!
MarcusF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
There was Vets and KC people walking around the benching areas, I know a number of people that show CC (who are breed 15 on the high priority list) have their grooming bags looked in, were told off for putting cream on the skin (which is the stupiedest thing I have ever heard)!!! and one person had a razor took of them. Things dont change over night, and most dogs at such events will be happy and healthy - or wouldnt be there.
A lady and her daughter who both breed and show CC's were telling us this at Ringcraft training on Tuesday. They said stewards were searching their bags, and making sure they didn't use anything on the dogs. One dog apparently got wet on the way in and the owner used some talc to help dry the dog and got in trouble for it.

On a side note I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about the RSPCA spending £40k once on carpeting for their HQ.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by MarcusF View Post
A lady and her daughter who both breed and show CC's were telling us this at Ringcraft training on Tuesday. They said stewards were searching their bags, and making sure they didn't use anything on the dogs. One dog apparently got wet on the way in and the owner used some talc to help dry the dog and got in trouble for it.
Nice to see that change is trying to happen, but it did become a joke. I put cream on or show and pet hairless, it would be unfair to the dog to the leave it with dry skin. I would rather give up showing than be banned from entering the ring due to protecting my dogs skin
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »