View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 05:58 PM
If by protect themselves you mean bite someone that broke into the house, then no they would not. They would certainly bark and make a real ruckus (when we just had my Labrador, he actually did ward off an intruder in the middle of the night by barking), but they would not bite anyone; it is not in their nature.

Frankly anyone who attempts to break into a property with several dogs barking and going berserk inside is insane anyway. 9 times out of 10 barking is more than enough of a deterrent to a would be intruder. Anyone looking to break into a residential property is looking for an empty house with nothing that draws attention to their activities...loud barking dogs obviously does just that.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 06:07 PM
A few weeks ago the police chased a gang of kids into our cul de sac... I am the end terrace so one of the kids decided to hop my fence to see if he could escape across the gardens... I was not home. Kismet was in the garden...

According to my neighbour who watched the whole thing from his window, Kismet made a hell of a racket and charged the intruder, staying out of reach and not allowing him to touch her, nor making contact with him... So I guess she's proved she would be hard to steal
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=labradork;2208084]If by protect themselves you mean bite someone that broke into the house, then no they would not. They would certainly bark and make a real ruckus (when we just had my Labrador, he actually did ward off an intruder in the middle of the night by barking), but they would not bite anyone; it is not in their nature.

Frankly anyone who attempts to break into a property with several dogs barking and going berserk inside is insane anyway. 9 times out of 10 barking is more than enough of a deterrent to a would be intruder. Anyone looking to break into a residential property is looking for an empty house with nothing that draws attention to their activities...loud barking dogs obviously does just that.[/QUOTE]

What she said here too!

but if they were mad enough to break in, Zena would have them for sure, because she's been taught the ritual of how friendly people enter this house, so I'm sure, she would put up quite a fight if they came in any other way than going through this ritual, which they wouldn't do of course, so yes, she'd have 'em big time!

As for old Georgie, he'd let them take him yes, but I doubt they could steal him coz he weighs 55 kgs and they'd have a job lifting him up coz once he's sleeping by that back door, nothing would shift him, not even rump steak!

Hopefully it would never get that far coz their barks are enough to scare off the hardiest of criminals, it even scares me when somebody tries to enter and they both start!
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What do you mean by protecting themselves Azz?

This could mean them running upstairs to their owners, barking, biting the intruder etc etc

Nobody would actually get anywhere near the front door without me knowing about it.

The sound of one of my dogs barking would put the fear of god into anyone not out of their mind on drink or drugs and if they did get in, there is no chance of them being stolen!

There is a chance that they could get very badly injured if my dog did not listen to me when I gave them an opportunity to leave before I sent the dog, if they ignored this I would deploy the dog if I had no other option and I feared for my safety and then they WOULD get very badly bitten.
Same here heck no one even gets down the drive here at the ranch without me getting notified lol. As for stealing no I don't worry about that, we are out in the boonies behind a 12 ft iron gate with a combo-only entry so no I'm not too worried

The only time I'm remotely worried is when they are in the car, Jo looks enough like a pure ACD for someone to try to & steal, Izze is always with us & is very aggressive I'm the car, she will snap at anyone who passes too close to 'her' vehicle lol.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 08:04 AM
My dogs wouldn't even wake up if we were being burgaled and if they did they wouldn't make a sound. kyiro would stay where he was watching them and Lily would wander over for a fuss.
If they had come to steal the dogs then the dogs would meekly follow even if they didn't want to.
Being greyhounds they are used to all thier lives different people getting them from the kennels so would go along without protest and its only rarely you get a greyhound that barks at noises. My two don't make a murmer.
The only noise that gets them up and at the door is my car arriving home.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-03-2011, 09:03 AM
My lot would wake the dead with the racket they make so anyone who continued with breaking in would have to be insane.
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-03-2011, 01:44 PM
All I can say is that if someone broke into my house and I was not here, and Boomer was, that I surely hope they went to church the previous Sunday. If not, the moment they entered my house they should say all their prayers and get their live in order....hahahahaha....
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 08:02 PM
I always think that if we got burgled Parker would bite the burglar but Cherry would show them where the tv and computer were so we had more time to play with her!
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I hope no-one would be that stupid to try and break in here,
Bruce hates anyone coming through our gate if he don't know them and makes hell of a racket about it
Poppy is very friendly, but would probably hide, as she can be shy with strangers,
Megan, well she would go with anyone, she is maybe too friendly
I think Bruce will keep the other too safe, but i always worry that in protecting me, our home or my other two babies, he would then get in to trouble because of his breed.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2011, 08:28 AM
My lurchers would let anyone in they would never even bark. My inuit and terrier make such a noise and they would defo bite someone if they were breaking in.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2