View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I dislike leaving a dog alone for any longer than three or four hours, but I've always taught my dogs to be alone in case of emergencies in case I have to go to hospital. Anyone who has visited A&E will know that it can take hours to be seen, so I needed to make sure that our dogs could cope, just in case.

Now that we have two dogs, I feel a lot more comfortable about leaving them, but they are still left for no longer than four hours at a time. My OH works shifts, so Wednesday is the day that they're left for longest, as we both start and finish work at the same time. I go home for lunch every day to check in, feed them, play with them and make sure that there haven't been any problems. Most other days, they have my OH around for most of the morning, then I go home for lunch, and then I'm only gone for three hours on the afternoon.

I think most dogs should learn to be alone, just in case of emergency. I know it would be a nightmare if I was taken into hospital and had to go home to a distressed dog and a wrecked house. But I do feel, as a matter of course, that dogs require some kind of companion if they're going to be left for extended periods.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't get a pup if there was any possibility that in the near future I would have to work all day . If I was actively looking for work I would not get a dog at all .
If on the other hand my circumstances changed and I had to get a job then I would get one which would suit my dogs rather than me . I worked for 30 years doing part time night shift so my dogs would never be left . At night my husband was there and during the day they came into bed beside me . I did not like doing night shift but it suited my dogs . To leave pup in a crate all day in my opinion is very cruel and I would never have done that .
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Both OH and I work full time, he has more chance to vary his hours than I do though.

We got both our boys used to being home alone from when they were little.

They get a walk and garden play-time in a morning and the same at night.

Ideally I would love not to have to work, but it's not a possibility. Not everyone is lucky enough to be able to work part time, or not work at all.

If I waited until I didn't have to work to get a dog, I can't see how I would have got one until I retired.

I know for a fact that my dogs are better loved and cared for than the dogs next door, who are locked in a stable all day and night despite one of their owners being at home all the time.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
The longest my two are left is 6 hours maximum. If they are going to be left a long time they get a long walk (at least 45 minutes off lead). My OH works shifts so when I get back to work properly they won't be on their own any longer than that.

I wouldn't dream of getting a puppy if I worked full time.

My step-dad is a teacher and has always had dogs (forst a springer, now a bedlington) and they are on their own through the day with no problems.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Both my OH & I work (he only works 4 days a week). I also get to go home at lunchtime so the boys are left about 4 hours at a time. They get walked before I go to work at 9.00 a.m. and are walked in the evening.

I've only been working close to home for the last couple of years, before this they did get left longer and were used to it. As other people have said it depends on what quality of life they get outside of this time and they are definitely happy dogs!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Well I suppose mine are lucky that I am in and out all day, and most of the time they are in and out with me.

However when I had just Meg and Reah, sometimes I would take them to work and they would lie under my desk in Reception, but I have left them at home too, and they didn't care. I worked full time then and used to rush home in my lunch hour to let them out....only too often they used to look at me with very sleepy eyes as if to say ''what, go out, not on your nelly'' I think some dogs really don't care.

Skye and Bruce have not been left for more than 4 hours, but they both just sleep too.
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Its natural behaviour for adult carniverous hunting animals to sleep 23 hours out of 24.

A very young pup needs someone around more as they need to be fed and to go to the toilet during the day.

It's hard these days to manage money wise unless everyone is working. Average rent for a small house is over £1,000 per month where I live, let alone all the bills, etc.

I do think its better to have two as they keep each other company, even if its just curling up and sleeping together. If you want a dog and are out to work maybe think of getting an older dog rather than a puppy. As others have said spending three or four quality hours with your dog in a day is a lot better than some dogs get whose owners are around all day. One of my neighbours is at home and her dog never goes out - I have never seen her walk it at all, it just barks in the garden all day Same with her kids, she is home all day but throws her kids out onto the street to play, my youngest was doing work experience as a classroom assistant and the eldest was at school with one of her kids and they both couldn't read. I know that's a bit off topic but it illustrates that physical presence is no guarantee of care.

Its easy to be judgemental but we live in the real world.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:51 PM
My 2 are only left for an hour or two when I go shopping usually, apart from when I play bowls, and they can be left for about 3 or 4 hours then, depending on if my OH is playing too. I have left them when I had a hospital apt and was gone for about 5 hours, and they were fine,but I was really worried about them by the time I got home.
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Reading these responses, and knowing my dogs as I do, I am convinced that some days they are thinking 'oh no, here she is, we are going to have to get out of our warm bed and go out in the rain, never mind, she will be gone back to work soon'
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I think having 2 dogs together is a good idea, and we have been very lucky with Betty, we had her when she was a puppy, and considering her start in life [both mine are rescue dogs] she has been pretty good, but we wouldn't have had the dogs if I wasn't here all the time.If I go back to work it will be part time only, but luckily I have no plans to do that at the moment, but I know I am very fortunate.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >