Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lormel
New Member!
Female 

05-07-2008, 12:59 PM

taking bitch to stud.

Hi
I recently took my bitch to stud on her 10th day, my bitch was only slightly swollen but the stud did his job and they had a good tie for 30mins. the breeder said it would be a waste of time for a second time mating 2 days later as bitch was at the end of time scale. would the proven stud dog be interested in mating with my bitch if if was the wrong time??? and what do you think the chances are my bitch has been mated at the right time???

Thanks
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Some dogs will mate at all times but most proven studs tend to know when its right. Was your bitch happy to stand for him as this is often a good indication as well.
Its easy to miss the first few days of a season, that's why I tend to have my bitches tested to see when its best for matng.
lormel
New Member!
Female 

05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi thanks yes my bitch stood and flagged but had to help by stroking her as she was a bit nervous as she was a maiden. I took her to the stud on the second day the blood turned a pink colour.
Rio
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2008, 11:48 AM
When the blood is a pinky colour that is a potential sign that she is about to ovulate, another sign is that they are ready is if you touch just below the vulva it will rise and they usually put the tale to one side, bitches can hold the semen for upto three days. One of my bitches tied on the 6th day and only had one mating and had 9 puppies. Did you have her pre-mated?
Brainless
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2008, 05:19 AM
With my own bitches I have never found colour of the flow any indication of readiness, in fact most of mine bleed right the way through and for up to a month.

Also the day on which bitches are ready for mating can vary widely from breed to breed, bitch to bitch and even season to season.

I have a pregnant bitch who went to stay with the stud. He was not interested so had a premate test on day 16 that showed she was imminent to ovulate but had not yet done so. She was mated on days 18 to 20 of her season.

I wouldn't personally be happy with just the one mating so early in the season (day 10 you say) as my girls are rarely ready before day 15.

With an experienced dog the most sure method of correct timing is to mate every second day for as long as the bitch is happy to stand, as she will go over and refuse to after she is no longer fertile.