Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 08:16 PM

Anyone do Pilates ?

If you do, could you tell me what it's like and a bit about it ?

Thanks
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Hi Willow

Sorry I personally haven't done Pilates but lots of people from my former workplace did so at lunchtime, they seemed to enjoy it but found it quite hard. I really couldn't say much else but hope that someone on DW will be able to advise you.

xmc
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I know that Stephanie does it so hopefully she will see your post

Try typing pilates in the search facility
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi Willow - I do Pilates and highly recommend it

Pilates (a form of Yoga) works on strenthening your inner core muscles, the ones that sit deep in your torso (not the ones that give you a six pack, the core muscles sit under those) and in turn these muscles support your whole body, especially your back

I have a very bad back from having 2 big children and having them by c-section and I also have a slightly curved spine which in turn is crushing 3 verterbrae at the top end of my spine. I spent thousands going to a chiropractor but they could only do so much and it was my doctor who recommended doing Pilates and I haven't looked back (18 months now)

Pilates is gentle (comapred to aerobics or going to the gym) and it is all about flowing movements and control over what you do, there are ladies in my class that suffer with MS, joint mobility problems, serious neck and back injuries and they all do pilates, we even have a couple of pregnant ladies recently and they did pilates right up to their due date , obviously, various movement were altered slightly to accommodate their bumps.

Pilates has given me a new lease of life, I was hounded by bad back ache and neck ache which in turn cause me to have a terrible posture, but now Im more concious about how I sit/stand and have very little back ache.

A few times I have gone to my pilates class with a head ache (caused by stress in my neck and shoulders) and after doing the class the headache has gone, it wonderful for releasing tension in your body. I actually find that if I miss a week my body is crying out for a class.

I have a fantastic instructor (Gillian) who explains everything as we go along, she talks about what muscles we are working on etc. Finding a good instructor is paramount. Another good thing about Pilates is, is that there is no heavy equipment involved so all the movements/exercises can be done at home too. I have 3 or 4 of the exercises that I do religously every morning to loosen my shoulders and neck.

If you need any more info jus tlet me know
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks

I found that there is a class near me starting in a few weeks and I wanted to do something extra for my fitness, I know that Pilates isnt exactly an aerobic class but it should help my with flexibility, and I didnt want something that was high impact, I run most days but wanted to do something else as I know that my posture is pretty terrible as I'm in front of a computer most of the day
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Well I rang three different leisure centres and visited another two yesterday, do you think I could join a class at all ? No. They are all booked for the new term and there is a waiting list of 23 ! And that was the lowest there was ! ... looks like I might have to buy a book or video ...
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Don't know what classes would cost now - haven't done any for ages, but I do use this http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset...530954&ref=fgl (QVC !).
A 20 minute workout 2 or 3 times a week is comfortable, enjoyable and I can feel it doing me good. No sweat, no pinkness, just a good tightened/loosened feeling, good posture, stretched hamstrings etc.

The 'rack' is quite bulky/heavy but I suppose that means it is substantial. I've had mine about 4-5 years. Divide the initial cost out and it's not so expensive.
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 03:09 PM
I totally agree with Dinahsmum

If I couldn't get to a pilates class on a regular basis I would definitley buy the Pilates Workout machine that DM has suggested - it is supposed to be very good
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Oh poo Steph, you know wot we forgot in that weekend????

Oh well now its only myosis in my back
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2005, 02:44 PM
This is a bit old but .. I finally got enrolled at a Pilates Class and did the first class last night ...

Today my tummy is aching with muscels that I didnt even know existed Not a bad ache at all but still nice to know that it did something ! So far today I've been aware how bad my position so have been sitting straighter.

I did feel a bit silly about one thing though, everyone was able to sit back on their legs (think of being on your knees then just going back so your sitting on your feet if that makes sense) and I couldnt do it ! Well I could for about 1 min then it was too uncomfortable. Something I think I need to do a bit of practise on I think.

Overall though I loved it ! So thanks for the recommendation
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >