Our sister sites
Our sister sites
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 11:46 AM

Treatment for Campylobacter

Hi
My dog is being treated with antib's for the above; he has not had diarrhoea with it as such but more pain and spasmodic early morning sickness.
He is on 2nd course of antib's, it could be that he has suffered with this for months (we adopted him), anyone else have experience of this and was it resolved with meds alone?
Thx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 11:49 AM
What exactly does he do? How often does it occur?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Never had it in a dog, but I've had it myself, and I can tell you, it was the most painful, horrendous thing I've ever experienced, so I hope your dog isn't in the same amount of pain as I was with it! I think I actually "died" for 5 whole days, except to get up to use the loo, and when the doctor rang me with my test results, he asked me if I was ok, coz they had just "left" me to suffer (not knowing what it was!!) and he told me I should have been in hospital on a drip or dead, so that cheered me up even more!!!

Good luck with your boy, the ab's will clear it up, I hope he's not in pain, and the vet is right, it can stay in his gut for many, many months, just like in a human! It's actually a notifiable disease in humans, that's how bad it is!

I was told it's contracted via red meat or faeces, and the night before it started, I had returned from Spain having eaten a half raw piece of steak, so they told me that's probably what it was, but they were hoping it came from a Sainsbury's pie or something so we could have sued them!

All the best, I hope he's comfortable and the ab's are kicking in.
borderbob
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:03 PM
BorderDawn: well since weve had him hes always been a fussy eater and had sickness the first weekend we had him, initially some mucous and blood in stools, always vomits early hours on morning. The welfare trust contacted previous owners and they finally disclosed that he has always been fussy eater and was sick 1-3 times per week!!
Thanks for that! Already have a lab with epilepsy so the fact that couldnt get insured as he was so ill first weekend with us (emergency vets) - insurance now wont cover.
So cut long story.... bloods, faecal etc showed positive for camp (not addisons, not pancreatitis etc). At moment I am now feeding Orijen (no cereal or grain) to see if that helps - before he apparently was on Winalot tinned once a day - he never ate this with us tho (bad I feel one meal only for small dog) - so now feeding 3 times a day (late evening) to line stomach - this helps.
on 2nd coruse of antib's as when 1st stopped he was intermittently sick still - thats why he could suffer with IBD due to damage to gut etc.
Never sick during day. Always early hours like5am ish - vet also gave zantac to line stomach.
He is ok in himself unless he is sick one morning when he wont want his breakfast so leave it for a while try again bit later in morning.
It is perplexing... so hence in addition to camp treating as potential IBD too.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Mmm sounds very similar to my Border many years ago. Tummy ache in the morning, rumbly tummy etc.. then wouldnt eat, sometimes sick sometimes not, but if he ate something felt better. Never has diarrhoea. All tests were negative, anti biotics never helped. The conclusion was, he was hungry. Borders are very busy dogs and they need a lot of energy from their food. May I suggest you try something? Nothing to lose. get some naturediet or forthglade or tinned chappie, NOT any dry food. Feed him 4 times a day. First thing, afternoon, evening and right before you go to bed, see if it makes a difference. This IMMEDIATELY "cured" my dog and he has never had a reoccurance, he was always a fussy eater too, never since.

Heres hoping, the comptlobater may be a contributory factor, but may not be all of the problem.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2010, 12:29 PM
My dog had diarrohea over several weeks on and off and was tested and found to have campylobactor which was treated successfully with antibiotics.

But I think a lot of dogs can carry campylobactor without any symptoms or ill effects.