View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Donny dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Separation anxiety issues.(Leaving a puppy with other people)

Hi all,

Me and my OH are going away for 2 weeks and leaving Ruby with the in-laws. They live in an absolutely idyllic place where she'll be walked daily and will love it. We have taken her there a few times now for 'trial sleep overs' and she's been fine.

My question may sound a neurotic one, but I'm concerned she's going to miss us. Daft I know!!!

Has anyone any ideas as to how my in-laws can cope with any possible separation issues? (Ruby's not mine, although I think we may be worse).

Sorry to sound like a 'new parent' again, but I can't help worrying about her even though she'll be soooo ruined!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Donny dog View Post
Hi all,

Me and my OH are going away for 2 weeks and leaving Ruby with the in-laws. They live in an absolutely idyllic place where she'll be walked daily and will love it. We have taken her there a few times now for 'trial sleep overs' and she's been fine.

My question may sound a neurotic one, but I'm concerned she's going to miss us. Daft I know!!!

Has anyone any ideas as to how my in-laws can cope with any possible separation issues? (Ruby's not mine, although I think we may be worse).

Sorry to sound like a 'new parent' again, but I can't help worrying about her even though she'll be soooo ruined!
Hi Diane true 'separation anxiety' is a specific condition with alarming symptoms, it is not that common. Your puppy may miss you a little but I don't think for a moment it will have SA .

A lot of dogs are fine when left with other people. It is a good idea to stick to the normal timings and routine, make sure the dog has its own familiar toys and bed/bowl and lots of play times/mental stimulation and it should be fine
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 06:45 AM
I can only echo what Mini has said. I'm sure Ruby will have a whale of a time
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2009, 06:53 AM
..............thirded
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 01:03 PM
It sounds to me as though you are going to miss Ruby far more than she will miss you Believe me, I left my *velcro* GSD bitch with my boyfriend (now hubby) for a week when I went on a walking holiday (and it would have been too hard on her joints). She had a fabulous time and didn't show any signs of missing me one bit! I missed her like mad of course

As long as you trust your in-laws to look after Ruby properly, then I wouldn't worry
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2009, 01:18 PM
My mother leaves her rescued ESS with us when she goes away. The first time she was so stressed about leaving him and then hideously disappointed that he hadn't seemed to miss her at all.....until she walked back in. Then he did his boingy Springer thing!
Donny dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks all,

Ruby loves going to stay with them and she's certainly spoiled when she's there. I'm beginning to think that it's me just overly worrying. Even to the point where I've told my OH to save a t-shirt he's worn and I won't wash it so she can have it in her bed!!! (She definately is a mans girl much to my disappointment).

I never imagined I could adore a dog as much as I do, I've filled the freezer for the kids and told 'em to get on with it!!