Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 09:45 AM

First Season has started...

Hello! Nala is 7 months old today and started her first season 3 days ago. She had been teasing me with the notion of starting for weeks and then went ahead and did it the night she had to go stay with the dog sitter for 2 days! And the OH is away until next weekend (he's been away for the last three so I should be grateful that she only just started!)

Dogsitter said she was being a bit grumpy and not flirting with the boys like the other in season bitch she had there. I picked Nala and Bentley up last night. She is not grumpy at all, and if anything is full of beans! I thought they were supposed to be a little more subdued when they're in season?! She's her usual bolshy puppy self.

Nala isn't bleeding a terrific amount however she's nice and swollen and is flaunting it a little bit to Bentley. He's neutered (but highly sexed) and is certainly 'interested'. Should I stop him from having a good sniff and lick of her, or should I leave it to her to tell him when enough is enough? I don't want either of them getting stressed but my main concern is Bentley getting agitated.

Also, is it really bad form and disrespectful to walk her at all? I was going to take her out on lead but that won't stop her scent attracting other dogs, which isn't particularly fair on other owners? We've bumped into walkers before that have said about their dog 'oh she's grumpy as she's in season' so I don't know what the correct protocol is!
Would a walk at dusk, when no one is about, be acceptable?

I'd done lots of reading in preparation for this so I'm up to speed with the anatomy of seasons etc but didn't see much mention of multi dog households with neutered males.

Thank you for any advice
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Aw bless Nala - she must have wondered what on earth was going on. It sounds as though you missed her being grumpy while she was at the dog sitters

I have no idea about the protocol of walking in season bitches but I know I've come across a few when out walking. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give their two-pennies worth.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I still walk my entire bitches when in season but tbf we hardly ever see anyone at all and it's never been an issue. Obviously if you walk at busy times of the day in a busy park it will be a very different story. Never had a problem being pestered by male dogs camping out on the doorstep either. I carry on as normal. None of mine have ever changed at all during their seasons, not more grumpy or clingy just there normal selves. I do stop the others from licking though due to the risk of infection rather than hyped up males.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Thank you for your replies

Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Aw bless Nala - she must have wondered what on earth was going on. It sounds as though you missed her being grumpy while she was at the dog sitters

I have no idea about the protocol of walking in season bitches but I know I've come across a few when out walking. I'm sure someone will be along soon to give their two-pennies worth.
I think she is a little confused, she has really started to push little Bentley about..Shame he's white...red shows up so well on him

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I still walk my entire bitches when in season but tbf we hardly ever see anyone at all and it's never been an issue. Obviously if you walk at busy times of the day in a busy park it will be a very different story. Never had a problem being pestered by male dogs camping out on the doorstep either. I carry on as normal. None of mine have ever changed at all during their seasons, not more grumpy or clingy just there normal selves. I do stop the others from licking though due to the risk of infection rather than hyped up males.
That's good to hear, thanks Trouble! I tend to walk them when it's quiet anyway; Quite a few 'fair weather walkers' out at the moment that I can't be doing with She doesn't seem any more clingy than she usually is thank goodness!

Infection?? I have been stopping him as she's not bothered by it, unless I stop him and then she'll have a dig at him

Nala has also been eating grass which I've not seen her do before, could she have an upset tummy? She had diahorrea this morning...her diet hasn't changed at all and she's not had anything out of the ordinary. Coincidence or could it be a side effect?
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2013, 08:37 PM
You may have to keep them separated when she is willing to stand for him as even neutered males can breed and tie although they would not get her in whelp. It could cause an injury to either of them if she panicked.
Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-04-2013, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Kyllobernese View Post
You may have to keep them separated when she is willing to stand for him as even neutered males can breed and tie although they would not get her in whelp. It could cause an injury to either of them if she panicked.
Oh goodness!! Fingers crossed she's not too much of a floozie! She's letting him lick but if he tries to mount, usually her front leg then she goes for him and tells him off. I'll keep an eye on how things progress