Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deedeez-Human
New Member!
Male 

26-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Poor old dog's limping

Hi, I own an American bulldog, Deedee; she's about 8 (I got her aged approx 3 cos her owner couldn't cope). She has started limping/stiff leg - usually front right leg but sometimes it moves to other leg! It's worst in the morning - I really feel for her when she limps out into the garden for her morning bathroom routine!

I know she's started getting on a bit now. She's still very bouncy and noisy and friendly, but she's putting weight on, her eyes are beginning to cloud over with what I think are cataracts, and the limp is a real shame to watch. I'm giving her cod liver oil with her food, but wondering if there's anything else practical I can do to help.

Cheers!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Please don't write her off at only eight! Don't let her put any weight on (it's not compulsory when they get older! ) and get the limp checked out by a vet. There is absolutely no reason why she should have to put up with pain.
lablover21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-04-2013, 01:31 PM
So sorry to hear about Deedee. Yes as Fivedogpam said get her checked out by a vet, but I gave my last old boy yumove. These tasty tablets worked great for him. He used to have really creaky painful joints but after a few weeks on these he was a different dog.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Poor Deedee . I think as our dogs get older it is even more important to keep them trim (weight wise) as naturally their joints are getting older and are more prone to arthritis - just like us.

Good luck and I hope you can get her out of pain.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by lablover21 View Post
So sorry to hear about Deedee. Yes as Fivedogpam said get her checked out by a vet, but I gave my last old boy yumove. These tasty tablets worked great for him. He used to have really creaky painful joints but after a few weeks on these he was a different dog.
All four of mine are on Yumove. I asked my chiropractor which she preferred and she said Yumove by far, having seen definite results.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Deedeez-Human View Post
Hi, I own an American bulldog, Deedee; she's about 8 (I got her aged approx 3 cos her owner couldn't cope). She has started limping/stiff leg - usually front right leg but sometimes it moves to other leg! It's worst in the morning - I really feel for her when she limps out into the garden for her morning bathroom routine!

I know she's started getting on a bit now. She's still very bouncy and noisy and friendly, but she's putting weight on, her eyes are beginning to cloud over with what I think are cataracts, and the limp is a real shame to watch. I'm giving her cod liver oil with her food, but wondering if there's anything else practical I can do to help.

Cheers!
Hi There is Denes Green Leaf it takes a while,but it eases.my Afghan couldnt get out of her basket and started her on that,eventually she became less stiff and her coat looked better,you can get it a pets at home. crystalgirl
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Hello there - if I was in this situation my first port of call would definitely be the vet. Until you know what the problem is then I feel that there is little point trying to treat it yourself. It does sound as if arthritis might be setting in, especially as it is worse after lying down for a while, and there are some really good pain killers available which will help her considerably and give her a new lease of life.

You don't say how long her walks are, but if she currently has one longish one each day then it might be better to split this into two shorter ones. This really does help the old joints!

Good luck anyway
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-04-2013, 03:09 AM
If the vet does diagnose Deedee with arthritis, glucosamine and chondroitin help. I've used it on my old boy when he gets a little stiff.