Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brandon82
New Member!
Male 

12-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Labrador that loves rocks!

Hello, all I am new to this site. I have a twenty month old male Lab, that loves rocks. He only grabs them when i'm around, and he takes of running, wanting to play i guess. He will keep his distance from me when he has a rock, then he goes to town chomping on them. I check his teeth imediately, and luckily there is no damage. I exercise him regularly. I know this is an active breed, even with plenty of exercise, he is still awful hyper. I also cannot leave toys or balls with him because, he will play with them, until they get stuck or roll under the fence, and will bark and yap so bad that i have to go find them. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 08:38 AM
I really wouldn't worry about it too much, Ben (my sister oldest German Shepherd), chomps on rocks and Roxy has starting copying him, but with little stones

I just let her get on with it. If you really want to prevent it though, I would suggect keeping a leash on him when you are out and about and teaching him to drop the item, and lots of rewards when he does, he'll get the idea eventually
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey.

I would agree to teach him to retrieve and drop the rocks. My aunt's Border Collie has chewed on small stones all her life and now in her golden years her teeth are nearly all worn completely down.