Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Brad Pattison and his dog training methods

Thought I'd post this into the debate section so everybody can have a good go at discussing what they like or dislike about his methods without getting personal.

Out of curiosity I signed up to his 'dog training newsletter' and today I got this about how to punish puppies:

Are you ready for the answer?

Good.

In case you missed it, the last couple of emails I’ve been asking

people a very simple question…

“What is the best way to “correct” a dog that is misbehaving?”

In other words… what’s the gentlest, safest form of correction we can use while still letting our puppy know their behavior isn’t okay?

Many of you said “A stern NO”…

And you couldn’t be more wrong.

Bet you didn’t see that one coming, eh?

As I’ve said all along, how humans communicate and how dogs communicate are very different.

You may THINK you’re being “gentle” on your puppy by shouting at him instead of giving him a firm-yet-gentle smack on the head…

But you’re actually probably doing major damage to your puppy’s self esteem.

NOTE: There is a “right way” to verbally correct puppies, and in fact, it’s key to any successful training. But since it largely has to do with tone of voice, I don’t want to confuse you by trying to explain it over text.

The best solution for you and your puppy is to grab a copy of my Puppy Training Secrets video series at this link:

Get my Puppy Training Secrets

Here’s the thing…

In a group (or “pack”) or dogs, the weight a puppy assigns to a particular type of correction is different than what we humans do.

To us, physical contact is a “last resort”…

But in a pack, the leaders usually use gentle physical correction as a quick correction when a puppy is acting up slightly.

A deep growl, however, means “you screwed up BIG TIME”.

It’s only used when the puppy has SEVERELY overstepped

his bounds… or a fight’s about to break out.

It’s rare, and only used in the most dire of situations.

So if you’re constantly yelling at your puppy… can you

see how that would be hard for them?

Here’s the thing…

By physically correcting your puppy, the puppy knows you still love him. It’s a minor correction… almost as though you’re saying, “No, that’s unacceptable. Don’t do it again, or there will be consequences”.

By giving him a loud and angry “no”, you’re sending a message

of “you are a BAD PUPPY, and you are on THIN ICE in this family!”

This kind of counter-intuitive communication is why it’s so important you study puppy behavior (and how to interact with them) carefully, so you know exactly what message you are sending across.

That’s why I recommend you picking up a copy of Puppy Training Secrets. It will reveal exactly what you think you’re saying…

and what you’re REALLY saying…

Allowing you to have a perfect pooch in record time.

Get it here:

Get my Puppy Training Secrets

Now, while this email has been about physical correction, I want to go on record to say it is NEVER okay to hit, kick, or hurt your puppy (in fact, I’m heavily involved with animal groups specifically against this kind of disgusting behavior.)

But remember… what you’re doing is the equivalent of a slap on the wrist. Not a lot of force, and certainly not harmful…

Just enough to let them know who the boss is.

And strange as it may seem, it’s actually a lot easier for your puppy to get over than a verbal reprimand…

While allowing them to clearly understand their behavior is unacceptable.

Now, I don’t want to overload you…

So I think we should leave it there for today.

Next time, I’ll be explaining exactly how to carry out some of these physical corrections properly, so you will have absolutely NO fears about hurting your puppy physically or emotionally.

You won’t want to miss it.

Talk to you then,

-Brad Pattison
Not a single word about how to teach correct behaviour, he only talks about how to punish bad behaviour. And he actually tells you it's better to hit your puppy on the head instead of shouting! (both are bad). Later on he says how he's against hitting and kicking, when I've clearly seen him do stuff like that in his videos.
This guy has been banned from TV in the US and now runs his own campaign to change dog training because apparently all the other experts are wrong.

Anyway, I was shocked about what he's saying in his puppy training emails and felt the need to share.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 03:16 PM
I have plenty words I could use to describe him, and that's just from reading this, but, I'm far too much of a lay-dee to use them publicly ( actually, that's not true, I have a real potty mouth, but would get banned if I used any of my naughty words )
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
OK this is my opinion and mine alone, puppies are not bad or naughty, when they come into our families they cannot even speak our language, so I like to teach them my language before expecting them to behave well. Also they will have to understand verbal commands at some point as they live with humans not in a dog pack so I start with name and no comes close on that one.

I don't shout but I do shhh quite vigorously and they learn very quickly that means they need to stop what they are doing and I carry on using that their entire lives so shhh means be quiet or stop jumping up just generally stop what you are doing right now and look to mum for further information.

Only time I use hands will be to place dog where I want it or block moves my hands don't move towards the dog but they do occasionally when little run into them and they then realise that is the place to stop and not right in my face with my nose in their mouth.

Mine may never win medals for obedience but they are gentle and loving and reasonably well mannered.

This Brad person has IMO no idea about tiny puppies.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Don't you just love these folk who tell you all the dog training "secrets" wwithout actually telling you anything!! Just a load of twaddle....I'm off to goggle him now as never heard of him
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
I will reveal all my secrets if ......

YOU BUY MY BOOK!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
His marketing strategies are terrible. Poor naive people will buy into this and learn all sorts of terrible things from him. Unfortunately, there's no regulations that could stop him spreading his 'wisdom'.
In my opinion, he knows absolutely nothing about dogs. Everything he says has been scientifically disproved, yet he keeps claiming that all other experts are wrong and that his methods are the only ones. It's like he's read a CM book and then thought: I can do better than that! Let's start my own dog training!
uuugggghhhh.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Just the snippets above tell me I would HATE his condescending tone - so could not read his book!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post

YOU BUY MY BOOK!
Exactly!!
Have an unbelievably well behaved dog,put most of that down to just being in her nature I'm no dog behavior expert so its defo not down to me,but I would NEVER use my hands on any dog..they will know you still love them What the heck is that about??
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post

YOU BUY MY BOOK!
$50 for a limited time, includes free rolled up newspaper if you buy today......