Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Newcomers that post and run

Has anybody noticed on here that occasionally a newcomer will join who doesn't post in introductions, but posts with a problem e.g peeing in the house, biting, growling, pulling on lead or whatever - to which many of us kind-hearted people respond and the OP never posts again or even appears to log on again.

No law against it I guess and I love to give dog-lovers the benefit of my wisdom but I'm just curious if others had noticed?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 02:04 PM
Hmph. I've seen people post problems, and get unnecessarily harsh answers that they didn't need nor want and decide this site isn't for them.

If they got good advice, or if they liked the way people spoke to them, chances are that they'd log in again, right? Honestly, it's hard to like this site sometimes. VERY hard if you're not from the UK.

I fight through the harsh comments and judgmental/bossy middle aged to elderly women because not all people here are like them... but not everyone has such willpower or patience.

I've had people take several shots at me for no reason. I'm given the silent treatment by a few people (which is actually okay because I fear if they spoke to me, we'd have some kind of ridiculous argument), and I'm judged and battered by a few others nearly every single time I post something. I feel as if this site purposely drives off people who are not from the UK sometimes. That we are not truly welcome here.

If you felt like that... why on Earth would you stay? You wouldn't, unless you were truly willing to take the bad with the good. I am one of those people. One of those rare people obviously, judging by the lack of active, longstanding American members here.

I know several people are going to whip out their sawed-offs and begin to open spread fire on me, but (as always) I stand by my statements and won't apologize for them or retract them.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
There are a lot of trolls who post a controversal post & then don't come back again other than to view as a guest

Also a lot of people post & if they don't get the answers they like they complain or just never come back
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
There are a lot of trolls who post a controversal post & then don't come back again other than to view as a guest

Also a lot of people post & if they don't get the answers they like they complain or just never come back

I don't think this site gets a lot of trolls. Trolls would try a lot harder. If trolls come here to post... they certainly aren't very GOOD trolls.

I don't ever see posts containing descriptions of blatant animal cruelty, descriptions of bloody fights, or anything that I'd consider a truly "trolling" post.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I fight through the harsh comments and judgmental/bossy middle aged to elderly women because not all people here are like them... but not everyone has such willpower or patience.
Not having a shot at you, 'onest, but am trying to explain a bit better.

When we write on here or when we are reading a post we can't see each other's body language, we pick up a lot by peoples body language which can change the when something is said. Also words are used differently which can cause problems. Trying to get clear information by writing instead of verbally can also cause problems. I think that a lot of problems people see in posts are not really there.

I don't deliberately attack people but sometimes my posts may come across as if I am having a shot at them. Most of the time I don't look at who wrote the post but just reply to what is written. If I see something that I have found to be wrong or sometimes dangerous, I will say so, I will attack a post but not the person.

I have known dogs to be pts because the information was misunderstood, thankfully it wasn't posts I had written, I would be devastated if it had. The owner misinterpreted the information and done the wrong thing with their dog, the dog attacked them and was pts. Often people trying to be too nice when giving information makes it look like the problem isn't really a problem, again dangerous.

Some owners just want to be told that they are doing the right thing when they are not, if they don't get what they want they go to another forum, that is their choice.

judgmental/bossy middle aged to elderly women
I don't know you all very well but do know there is quite a lot of middle aged to elderly women on here, I am one myself, but I prefer to be a geriatric teenager
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 04:17 PM
What is it they say....

"Judge not, lest yea be judged." and all that.

I am middle aged but I try very hard not to be judgmental, you can only answer what is being asked and it's difficult to ascertain how someone else will perceive the answer. I am sure there are some language/culture differences between here and the US and we just see each other as being rude
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2013, 04:23 PM
I think some people just don't get the answers they want it's like when people ask what diet I am on as I am losing weight and when I tell them they back off so fast they are a mere blur on the horizon muttering I can't do that. They want a quick fix a magic cure and really it's all just hard work and consistency that pays off.

As for comment about middle aged to elderly women well I could be described like that but I think many of us with a bit of age behind us have years of experience too so I quite like a middle aged or elderly woman or man to advise me more than someone just out of school who has their first dog and only experience of that one breed/character.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2013, 04:37 PM
I think some people join just to get help with a particular problem and having done so don't feel the need to post again.

That is fine, people are free to come and go as they choose. It is good to know that a person's visit here however brief may have benefited a dog somewhere .
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2013, 04:43 PM
I think all the above might be true - some just don't like the responses they get, some feel offended - and yes there are one or two trolls. Often though they come on - say with dog bit cousin, uncle, aunty or whatever, really good long, considered advice is given to them and then nothing. I am not going to worry about it too much but when I see the effort that people on here put into their responses I do find a bit bad mannered of people not to say thanks. It's just good manners .
Canine K9
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-12-2013, 04:54 PM
I haven`t been very active lately, but am trying to! I`ll admit my interest quite often dies down.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »