Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-11-2013, 11:10 PM

Cross breed names Cockador, Labradoodle, Springerdor etc

My puppy was sold as a "cockador" and previously I've met people with dogs they term as labradoodle, springador and even jugs (jack russell X pug??). Am I correct in thinking that this is basically a marketing thing by breeders or are "breeds" like this recognised or likely to become recognised by the kennel club?

I have no issue with cross breeds in fact I see cross breeding a positive thing as selective breeding has bred too many genetic defects into established breeds IMO. However I'm happier with calling mine a Lab X as she looks more Lab than Cocker to me.

How do other people feel about the combination names of breeds?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2013, 08:43 AM
They are crossbreeds I love crosses but I do worry people are paying far too much thinking they are likely to be recognised as breeds when they won't ever be seen as anything but crossbreeds with funny names.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2013, 09:19 AM
I agree that giving them fancy names is a marketing ploy.
Whether they will become "recognised" a long way down the line remains to be seen. All breeds had to start somewhere.
The majority of them are very cute although I would never buy one.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2013, 09:19 AM
As Julie said, they are crossbreeds and always will be crossbreeds, but quite a lot of gullible people are paying too much for them thinking they are something special. But they are not special and are not a "breed" - just crossbreeds with fancy names which earn £££ for their breeders, many of whom have ££ instead of eyes.

If people say their dog is, like yours, a Labrador cross that is fine by me, but all these made-up fancy names leave me cold.

My dog is not a crossbreed, she is a mutt - a mongrel of no known background, and as such I would never pretend she is anything but a mutt, although I could look up breeds she resembles and make up a really fancy "new breed" name for her.

I just do not see the point of having a designer crossbreed name.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Apparently Molly is a Boxador

Looks like a Boxer cross to me, but what do I know
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2013, 04:21 PM
I came across a guy out walking his dog a while ago and when asking what type it was, he told me it was a mix of Shizu and Poodle, and said it was a Sh*t poo!!! Not sure if that was genuine or not, but if that's the case then I'd definitely just be calling it a crossbreed

Seriously though, it does sometimes feel like people are just mixing breeds to give them a fancy name and charge fancy prices for what is essentially a cross breed. But whatever the outcome/breed, the end result is usually a gorgeous doggy of some sort.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't mind what anyone calls them and some are undeniably cute but some unfortunate dogs look deformed and have health issues. I object to two random dogs being mated with no regards as to the health of the offspring and just for monetary gain. It's all well and good claiming cross breeds are healthier but how can you possibly know that when neither parent has had any health tests carried out. It's just a lottery and they are gambling with puppies lives to line their own pockets. If they really cared about the outcome of breeding their dogs they'd carry out all the necessary health tests and track down a health tested stud not just mate their two dogs together or use their friends/ neighbours dog.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Cross Maltese Bichon next door to me has had 2hip operations before it was 2 years old.
She has been advised to breed from her by her breeder.
I don't call that healthy
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Like everyone said, they are crossbreeds. The only one I can see ever getting registration is maybe the Labradoodle, but don't think it will happen for many years. While I agree that the majority of crossbreed breeders are only in it for the money, I have seen responsible Labradoodle breeders who don't pretend their dogs are anything other then a crossbreed. The vast majority of crossbreed litters that are advertised on these sites such as Pets4homes and Gumtree etc ARE badly bred, but that goes for the majority of puppies listed on those sites, purebred or crossbred and I would advice anyone looking for a puppy to avoid such sites.

I'm not really fond of the "cutesy" names attached to EVERY single crossbreed these days either but to be honest it's pretty harmless. If people are going to blindly believe they have a "new" breed and pay hundreds of pounds, even thousands, for a crossbreed dog, then I doubt very much adding a cute name to the mix is going to make a blind bit of difference.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2013, 12:00 AM
I must admit, some of the "cross" names don't bother me now (for example labradoodle and springador) but some are just daft.

I got asked just the other day if Alfie was a "Borkie" - took me long enough to work out what she was actually saying to me!

Alfie is a mix of two dogs, no designer name, no designer price tag. Just my little scruffy jack russell cross to me
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »