Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2005, 03:23 AM

working dalmatians

They are starting carriage dog trials. I heard about this a while ago but I don't know if it had actually started being done by then.

I want to do it beause that's what dallies were originally bred to do but my mum won't let me learn to horse ride! At the moment, I wouldn't be able to because of my back but I'm not sure why, she just said 'we're not doing horses as well'. Then said - 'Oh are dalmatians good with horses? I might have to take Bella out with Takara then!'

Bella is my aunt's horse by the way. She is rogue and not even my aunt would ride her so I'd love to see my mum try! lol

Just wanted to share that in case anyone didn't know - I have always thought they should do carriage dog trials, put dalmatians to work at what they were originally bred to do - every other breed does it. Why not mine?

Lottie
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Carriage dog trials in the UK have been held by the BDC for two years now, I went to watch the first year. In America, they have been doing it for a long time and an American judge came over that year and did a workshop for everyone before the event.
You can do it mounted or with a pony and trap, the latter allowing you to compete as a "groom" with your dog as well.

Check out the BDC website

www.britishdalmatianclub.org.uk

make some enquiries on the forum, not everyone who competes has a horse, I know this year some were made available for competitors, maybe you can get to know someone who will help, or needs an assistant! You will get loads of advice there about how to train your dog, too, for this kind of work!

Gill
Chilli-Pepper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2005, 06:19 AM
I have also seen the trials here last year and this year down in Rockbourne, we generally camp down there for the weekend as the BDC have held a funday on the sunday, the carriage dog & road dog trials are amazing to see. I think its a beautiful site seeing them running with the carriages and working with the horses. (but then I am a bit soft in the head) :smt101

Our dally seems to get along with horses fine, we are surrounded by them where we live in fact the first animal (other than her litter mates) she came into contact with was a horse, and we go riding with her tagging along once a week, she does not seem to to be bothered by them at all, but then I supposes it may be individual as to what they get used to. Our next dally's sire is from carriage dogs. and we have a friend that is starting to do the events with her dogs.

:smt035
hameldal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Lottie
Just saw your post !!!
You dont have to have a horse -infact you dont have to ride either !!! - You can compete in the carrige section in which case you will do obedience with your dal as someone else drives their carriage (as you dont have one)
We have a new website up and running at ... http://bcds.digitalproductions.co.uk...php?title=Home
There is a trial coming up on May 27th (i think!) in Settle - which if i remember correctly isnt too far from you ?!
We are trying to drum up as much support as possible to make it a great weekend !!
Why not contact Alison see if you can go out with anyone. We had our first trainin gsession at weekend and she was a star !!! Took to it like a duck to water !
Jules xxx
Check out our website for our pics ... http://www.zyworld.com/hameldal1/home.htm

ps this year we have a class for any other breeds who might want to compete too !

pps its the British Carriage Dog Society who run the trials
If you are interested in becoming a member check out the site - you will get a magazine with whats going on and details of the trials as well as support and help if needed.
J xxx
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a friend who takes part in CDTs with her Dallie, and does very well too
hameldal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Have you not thought of joining in too ?
J xx
hameldal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Shadow at Stay
hameldal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2007, 10:52 AM

Shadow following at Hock
Only the second time round the field, she was soo focussed and took to it like a duck to water
Jules xxx
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by hameldal View Post
Have you not thought of joining in too ?
J xx
was that for me?

I dont have enough hours in the day I am afraid, as I work my spaniels and terriers - and when we arent working we're training...with the occasional show thrown in for good measure.

There is nothing quite like watching a dog doing the job it was bred to do, for getting the spine tingling, in my opinion..... (providing the job is legal of course )

My friend was also surprised how easily her dallies took to it, and from the photos she showed me, they certainly enjoyed it too

I know with my own dogs, they will go through the motions in the ring, because they want to please me - but get them working, and they come alive.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2007, 11:08 AM
super pics hameldal

are there different elements to the trials, or are following the horse, and following the carriage different trials in their own right?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >