View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I know you will Saz What a terrible "home" this sounds too, advertising in a shop window? Especially a dog such as this, through no fault of his own either no doubt, poor dog, I think it's despicable the way our poor dogs are transferred around like pieces of furniture, it makes my blood boil. Maybe you should make some other enquiries about this "home" too, don't they have to be registered/regulated? Their home checks leave much to be desired too imo, as most homes would always give you a history of their dogs for homing if they know it of course. The reason they haven't got back to you is they're just not bothered imo, as long as they get the dogs in and find homes and farm them out that's all that matters in their eyes by the sounds of it. I would definitely keep trying to contact them if I were you and find out how the land lies so to speak, maybe they're just private people doing this out of concern for unwanted pets and it shouldn't be that way, these things have to be regulated don't they? I hate the sound of it that this poor dog might have to go back there too? I do hope they can sort out this dog's problems and he can stay where he is

I can just imagine what this couple are like, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of getting a behaviourist in would they, and I know for sure you are going to help them in this situation as much as possible.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 04:55 PM
when we had a rescue dog the home gave us the biggewst load of bull going,they said that she was being re-homed due to allergys,but e truth was she used to get so distressed when left alone,to the point where u couldnt even leave her for 1/2 and hour with out her totoally distroying the house,alos she couldnt travel in a car,couldnt even sit in a car with out being violently sick. unfortunatly we had to take her back to the kennels,cried buckets for weeks afterwards,
so not all rescue kennels are honest im afraid to say.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I totally agree with Helena regarding the fact that the dog should never have been homed with an elderly couple, clearly they cannot cope even though their hearts are in the right place.

I am so pleased you have intervened instead of having someone going to "knock it out of him" - flaming great help he would be knocking around a rescue dog, people like that should be banned from owning and working with animals they make me sick.

I truly hope you succeed in re-training this dog, he has obviously not had the best of starts and because of the shelter having an inept homechecker he is in the wrong hands again. They need to be much more careful which dogs they place with whom, otherwize it causes more stress for the poor dog and heartbreak for the well-intending owners
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Well I went to see this lovely couple today, and saw Buster that SBT. He is adorable and very loving !! The problems they are having are just typical of SBT's, he hates being alone in the house and has attempted to chew his way through the doors so they now leave the doors open around the house so he can roam, they feel they have solved that problem. The second thing is he is dog aggressive, they currently see a behaviourist who charges an arm and a leg and feel they don't want to cancel their appointments with him so will carry on until after christmas of which they will then contact me for help. Buster is lovely!!!! THe pulls on lead which is typical, he has had no training what so ever so needs to be trained and that will soon come as he is of a very intellegent breed.

The problem I have at the momet is, the Dogs Home they got him from is in Holywell and they didn't do house check!!! Now, although this time they were lucky because they are a lovely couple, who have for years and years had bull breeds, and was in the ring with their Bull dog many moons ago, what is to say they get it wrong next time!!!! This is the same home that i have contacted via email because they refuse to answer the phone and offered my free services!! I have told them i will take part in home checks and so on when homing a Staffie, but nothing!!!! I will be contacting them again tomorrow, i am not happy with this at all.

I will try getting a picture of Buster to show you all, he is a darling, an untrained one
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm glad that things went well and that Buster's problems seem solveable

I hope the centre let you help out
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-12-2005, 07:09 AM
That is really sad,sounds like you may be able to help this couple though which is good.Hope the home realise what an assett you will be and take on your services,sounds like they need someone like you.
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 08:15 AM
I hope i can make a difference, it sends shivvers down my spine when i think of this breed getting into less experienced hands
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 09:00 AM
well done for helping this couple babes,, sounds like the "home" in question needs a visit from someone who can take a look at their standards and make sure dogs are not being re-homed in unsuitable places

good luck hun x x x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Why on earth don't the Dogs Home have a Homecheck system? How on earth can they be sure that they pair the right dog and owner up without one? Sounds very disorganized to me, they must have a lot of dogs returned to them on that basis.

How sad for the dogs, it will cause them more needless stress.

Best of luck with Buster, glad you were there to help
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Ozzysmom
Why on earth don't the Dogs Home have a Homecheck system? How on earth can they be sure that they pair the right dog and owner up without one? Sounds very disorganized to me, they must have a lot of dogs returned to them on that basis.

How sad for the dogs, it will cause them more needless stress.

Best of luck with Buster, glad you were there to help
I honestly don't know It is very frustrating at the moment because they haven't even answered the phone to me yet !!! I have emailed also !!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2