View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Another retail chain bites the dust (Woolworths)

I have just heard on the news that Woolworths is for the chop Could be broken up and sold on to other outlets. Thousands more out of work. When is this going to stop. Woolworths, my childhood store. I use to pinch pick and mix sweeties from there I can't believe I just owned up to that
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 01:47 PM
You and me both Elaine
Our Woolworth closed last month, an institution gone
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Used to go when I was a kid, dont go now even though there is 2 nearby as the prices there are way to high.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
You and me both Elaine
Our Woolworth closed last month, an institution gone
I used to spend my pocket money in there. You could get some nice (cheap) toys, pens, jewellery, I would spend hours in there as a child/teenager. Yep another instituion gone
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 02:19 PM
You could buy washing line by the yard (yes who remembers yards ) I used to buy it for skipping ropes!
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I LOVE Woolies. Prob one of my fav high street stores. You can get just about anything there.
Real shame.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Our high street Woolies has been there for more than twenty five years And is the central point for my favourite story for embarrassing my mum!

My mum once parked my pram out front of Woolworths, because you could in those days, went in to do some shopping, left by the back door and walked home along the sea front.
Half way home, she started to think she had forgotten something and was checking in the bags to make sure she had her purse and keys and all the shopping that she had gone out for. Walked a little further... and then it dawned on her that she had abandoned me! Fortunately by the time she got back to me, I was still fast asleep and hadn't even noticed
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2008, 02:34 PM
That is really sad. Our Woolies in town, a big store, was closed about a year ago, now its a big Boots. I used to think Woolies was great, if you couldn't get what you wanted from Woolies, you couldn't get it.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Ours is being made into a Tesco
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Sez & Amber View Post
Our high street Woolies has been there for more than twenty five years And is the central point for my favourite story for embarrassing my mum!

My mum once parked my pram out front of Woolworths, because you could in those days, went in to do some shopping, left by the back door and walked home along the sea front.
Half way home, she started to think she had forgotten something and was checking in the bags to make sure she had her purse and keys and all the shopping that she had gone out for. Walked a little further... and then it dawned on her that she had abandoned me! Fortunately by the time she got back to me, I was still fast asleep and hadn't even noticed

My Mum did that to me as well. She was shopping in Liverpool 1950's and she left me outside the butcher's shop. Guess it takes some getting used to having a new baby to remember Bless her
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >