Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2015, 09:51 PM

Ginormous Airline-Approved crates! Help please, esp. Americans

Hi all! Sorry it's been a while...

I am asking on behalf of my little sister, who will be moving soon from the continental US to Hawaii with her Great Dane and Rottweiler, both of whom, while still being technically puppies, are immense. She says she hasn't been able to find anything tall enough for them, and having a look around I can't find anything either, but such things must exist, surely?

The Great Dane is 44" tall and 43" long; the Rottie is 36" tall and 39" long. She doesn't have exact weights (will by Thursday) but she reckons around 100-110 lbs each.

She isn't exactly made of money but she's willing to shell out for the right thing to keep her puppies safe. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2015, 10:31 PM
One thing I would suggest is to find out exactly from the airline what carriers they allow and sizes-oversized might be an additional charge. But different airlines have different specifications for any pet carrier.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Good suggestion. I found a website that has instructions for how to build your own, and also information on requirements various airlines impose, and on restricted types of materials (wood has to be plywood or heat-treated, to avoid the accidental importation of alien creepy-crawlies) but it's always best to get the most up to date information possible. This stuff seems to change all the time.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2015, 08:36 AM
Doesn't the shipping company supply the crates?I know they do if you want to export a pet from UK,because they ask for your pet's dimensions and weight.
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2015, 11:20 AM
No, the airlines don't supply the crates, but they do ask your pet's details so they can make sure that yours is up to standards for height and weight. Can't go smushing big dogs into little crates!
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2015, 02:22 PM
When I used to work in animal travel in the 80s , the crates were mainly made of light wood and made to measure. They have to be up to IATA standard .
some examples here
http://www.parair.co.uk/travel-kennels.html

They need to know the dimensions of the crate plus the weight of the crate with the dog inside.
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2015, 04:10 PM
I recently took a Beardie to Heathrow which was going to Boston,and I got the crate for her which was a Sky Kennel on line from somebody on a FB group.It was nearly the biggest they do twice her height 48" long and more than 36" wide.She was travelling with Virgin Atlantic and they had a stack of what looked like spares in the check in area,maybe she can check withe airline to see if they have any to sell,or see if there is a FB group for cages and crates in the USA.