Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2010, 11:18 AM

Quick question...

My puppy Sherlock is nearly 7months and has just been out with his dog walker who takes a mixed group out.....unfortunately the dog walker wasnt told that one of the bitches is in season and she only realised when Sherlock got very excited. Im not exactly sure how far they got and Im assuming that he is a bit young for anything to come of it but wanted to check with you guys....what do you think? is he too young to complete the act?
I am planning on getting him castrated but was recommended by the vet to wait till 8months to let him fill out and develop first so would be gutted if Im wrong about this
Thanks for reading
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I think you will find that he is old enough....I think people generally say from 6 months.....although it is obviously advised to wait, dogs are capable of fertilizing a bitch at this age. I believe.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes he is capable, I know of an instance of a month old accidently sireing pups.

Not really for you to feel gutted in this instance what was the bitch owner doing sending her out with a dog walker and several other dogs in season.
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
oh no. Thats not good.

I really hope the other owner takes her to the vet then as the last thing we want are labradoodle cross pointer puppies from it all

Whats others opinions on age to get dogs castrated? He is my first male dog so have just been going on vets advice so far ( sorry im sure this has been covered before)
thanks for your replies
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh dear, not your fault at all
But I would deff make sure the dog walker spoke to the bitches owner and gave them the option of the jag!

At dogs trust they book you in from 6 months - they just check the wee plums have decended and whip em out
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Sounds like the sort of cross I'd want if I was looking!

Everyone has different views on castration---go with what you feel.

Personally I leave it till I think it might be a problem---but thats just me!

rune
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
When vetnursing we always recommended over 6 months to castrate or neuter because their development is well established by then and we have always used that rule with all our dogs and we've had SO many. I would say that it would be fine to neuter your boy now.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sounds like the sort of cross I'd want if I was looking!

Everyone has different views on castration---go with what you feel.

Personally I leave it till I think it might be a problem---but thats just me!

rune
Same here.

Monty is just over 18 months old and hasn't been done and we have no issues with him but if we suddenly find that we do have issues then i'd consider it. Until then, his balls stay where they are.