Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 07:18 PM

Keeping the head OFF the ground!

Most of our shows are outdoors on grass and at Taylor's first show, all thoughts of showing him on a loose lead were thwarted as he decided to go round with his head permanently on the ground!

A little tip I was given, which I haven't tried yet..... is to dab some strong aftershave under the chin or on the chest - the smell is supposed to keep their head up as it overwhelmes anything else around!

Has anyone tried this? Did it work????

Gill
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by spotsmad
A little tip I was given, which I haven't tried yet..... is to dab some strong aftershave under the chin or on the chest - the smell is supposed to keep their head up as it overwhelmes anything else around!

Has anyone tried this? Did it work????
Err, yes and no, yes I have tried it and no it did not work.

Train mine with a water spray, set the spray to a single jet and aim it at the floor just at the end of the nose, then praise when the dog lifts it's head.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Err, yes and no, yes I have tried it and no it did not work.

Train mine with a water spray, set the spray to a single jet and aim it at the floor just at the end of the nose, then praise when the dog lifts it's head.
The trouble you show ppl go through

Just a thought, what if the dog starts playing with the water? Then the head will deff be on the ground all the time

And another thought, is it allowed to make noises? I dont mean screaming but a "smack" with the lips and when the dog is looking praise?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Yes you talk to your dog as much as you wish, was stewarding last night and one lady was so noisy I thought the dog must be deaf.

Think being able to stop your dog sniffing would be a good idea for most dog owners, if nothing else it stops them getting to close to anything you may think unhealthy.

Trouble with show rings they sometimes move the sheep out the day before and I well remember running round a ring removing sheep droppings from by dogs mouth and tossing them out of the ring - LOL heaven help the spectators.

Then there is always the patch of grass the bitch peed on

Just to add that not only can you talk but we are getting an increasing number of chair users in the ring too, others dogs are expected to take no notice and in most cases they don't.
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 07:07 AM
Oh i agree.
Both it helps them not getting to close to anything you may think is unhealthy but also, how annoying is it to watch (and walk) with a dog that has its nose on the ground I mean, who´s walking who?

But I honestly didnt think speaking in the ring as allowed
Or atleast that it would take away some points maybe?
But I´m no show person so I dont know. I´ll just read on and learn from you guys
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 07:46 AM
You're not supposed to hold conversations in the ring, and certainly not with the judge, but most will talk to their dog if necessary.
One Dalmatian exhibitor had a tearaway boy and most spectators thought he was called "Jesus Christ!"
With Taylor, it's "head up!" or "Trotties" (yes I know pathetic isn't it!), Polly needs sweet talking to keep her tail wagging and her movement animated, Polo - well I just hold my breathe and give him loads of fuss if we get round ok!!!!!!
I can keep their heads up by stringing them up but then the front movement goes to pieces so a scent-free ring would be a great bonus. The only plus point in this, is that everyone else has the same trouble!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Think again there is a difference in the UK, in my breed at least we talk and laugh whilst waiting our turn to be assessed with fellow exhibitors and those sitting around the ring, and whilst you are not allowed to engage the judge in a conversation you can speak during judging and do what you like after judging is complete.

Why not give the water a try it works for me and think of the advantage if everyone else has a dog with it's nose on the floor.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 09:25 AM
I have this problem too, but only when we are in the rings, for some reason, my dogs are fine outside the ring then as soon as we get in ohhh the smells are just sooooooooooo good. with them only doing it in the ring,(tell a lie the odd occassion outside) its difficult to actually teach them no even with the water, as I cant take the water into the ring. I end up having to practically drag them round the ring sometimes yanking their heads up. and as already mentioned this throws the movement out the window. they are fine inside most of the time, its just the ouside grassy rings that cause the most problems with my dogs.

Mo
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Use the water to teach that the word head means lift the head, I use the water gun with a clicker but sure it would work with prase and a titbit. Once the dog understands the command head or head up they will do it as they know on some occations they will get a treat for doing so, not every time but they live in hope. The only thing you can't win against is an in season bitch, just shows for a dog sex before food is th erule.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Think again there is a difference in the UK, in my breed at least we talk and laugh whilst waiting our turn to be assessed with fellow exhibitors and those sitting around the ring
I was actually thinking of the UK where I was showing until last autumn...... that's just how I was brought up and it seems to be a bit formal sometimes in my breed, or may be it is some of the exhibitors . Over here it is very laid back and we enjoy a bit of "craic" with the judge, the steward and whoever else happens to be standing nearby sometimes you forget you are in the ring at a Champ show. Same goes for the groups to an extent, too.

Anyway, thanks for the tip I will give it a go... although I am still struggling to get Taylor to free stand at the moment
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >