Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinnies4
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2012, 06:38 PM

Phantom pregnancy aggression!

hi there everyone.
my wiemaraner x springer is currently going through a phantom pregnancy...only diagnosed on friday thru discovering milk in her nipples. for about 2 weeks before this she started getting a bit narky with other dogs...just the odd growl. but the day i found out shes having the phantom she proper went for 2 dogs....is this because of the phantom?
im worried because it is very out of character. and if it were to continue after the phantom then i wouldnt have a clue on where to start on training her out of it.
any advice would be great please.
oh by the way she is on galastop to dry up the milk and will be getting spayed after its done. she is 1 year old and this all happend after her first season.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Have a look here

http://www.dorwest.com/Top/Common-Pr...ntom-Pregnancy
tinnies4
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2012, 07:00 PM
thanks but doesnt really answer my question. the only symptoms of phantom she has is the milk, whining a little and possible the aggression?? which is what i am asking? is it normal? its always towards other dogs when they approach her.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 07:38 PM
I dont know anything about a phantom but I do know most of the bitches around here were aggressive a bit after their first season (so much so they were all spayed) so I imagine the extra hormones could make it worse - but still worth talking to your vet and making sure everything is OK
I would prob be careful with her and other dogs for a while - dont keep her away from them totaly but careful the ones she meets up with are good experiences - and leave sooner rather than waiting till things get too much for her
tinnies4
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-08-2012, 07:54 PM
thanks ben. she has seen a vet but they didnt really mention about the aggression. she is going back friday so will make sure i mention it. on our walk today we saw the same dog she tried to attack yesturday...she was on the lead and lunged towards her but then it looked like play behaviour after that. but i didnt let her off the lead and kept her away. we then met another dog and i explained to the owner the problem and she let me introduce them, she only seemed to go for him when he went to sniff her back end other than that she was ok but still a little unpredictable so i didnt let her play or anything.