View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 04:16 PM

It was almost like having a normal dog...

I am SO proud of Cain this weekend Normally I'd post on the achievement thread, but he did so incredibly well that I think he deserves his own thread

This weekend we had more people in the house in one go than we have probably ever had. I don't often have people over because of Cain, instead choosing to meet friends out or at their house.

On Friday we had arranged for four friends (two couples to visit). One couple, Lucy and Matt, Cain does know. However he has only met them maybe four times before and we only see then 2/3 times a year as they live in Yorkshire. So he knows then, but not well and hasn't seen them for a long time. The other couple, he knows Anna but hasn't really met her bf Sam before. However I needed them to pop into the house while I was out this weekend, so I have had Sam pop in to meet Cain twice over the last fortnight to try and introduce them.

Anyway, point is, he had met them all before but didn't know any of them well. Firstly Lucy and Matt turned up and Cain greeted them like old friends I tried to stagger their arrival, but Sam and Anna turned up just 10 minutes later I thought this would be a disaster, to exciting, but Cain coped well. We all enjoyed ourselves for the whole evening till 2am and Cain was SO well behaved, didn't put a paw wrong (even when we got a bit tipsy and noisy!).

Lucy and Matt stayed for the weekend, Cain was fine with them in the morning. We needed to go out separately and Lucy and Matt wanted to come back to the house before we met up later. I gave them a key and Cain let them into the empty house with a waggy tail! Later that evening we were all out together, and I had arranged for Sam and Anna to pop in to let Cain out to the loo and give him dinner. We had no idea how he would behave....but again he let them both into the empty house without issue!

Then next day I met my brother for brunch and he unexpectedly ended up coming back to the house. He had been on "back up" for dinner duty the night before in case Cain wouldn't let Sam in, although My brother has never gone in the house alone either! Well we decided Cain was on a roll so gave my brother the key and told him to walk in first! He didn't even have any treats. Cain definitely recognised him and was pleased to see him then he just went and laid down quietly, didn't even pester him.

It's amazing! He let 5 different people who he doesn't know really well into the house and was calm, friendly and well behaved. It's a massive relief to be able to relax and enjoy guests without worrying Cain will eat them or feeling sorry that he's locked away for hours and miserable. Even better it now appears that I have three local people how can enter the house in an emergency or pop in occasionally if needed Well done Cain the Pain!

He's a few pics of him enjoying cuddles with the guest. You know you cut the mustard when Cain "assumes the position" which involves sitting with his back to you, then butt shuffling backwards until he's close enough that you can scratch his chest

You can tell he's loving it from the angle of his ears

smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Well done you, and Cain!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 04:47 PM
brilliant to read! Feels so good when the hard work starts to pay off doesn't it
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Wow, that's great! He looks pretty comfortable there, doesn't he!

Funny but I've always thought of Cain as a wiry and medium sort of dog, but he looks quite big there

Very pleased for you, anyway. Any ideas on why he is so chilled?

Wys
x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Well done Cain and well done you A lovely post showing just how proud you are which is really nice.

I don't think we always give our dogs credit when due, and I think we end up worrying far more than is necessary. It sounds as though he took it all in his stride.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Well done Cain and of course Amanda.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-08-2012, 05:10 PM
I am so pleased for you and what a good boy Cain is.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Great news! Well done to you and Cain
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 05:11 PM
Well done Cain - and you
Its great to read of the big steps forward like that - you must be so happy
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Awww how wonderful

Well done for all the dedication you have shown to this beautiful boy!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >