Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:22 PM

Crate training gone wrong.

Hi all,

I am coming to you all for advice and ideas regarding one of my dogs who has suddenly become anxious in his crate.

He is a Springer x Cocker, in a crate you could comfortably fit "two of him in". He can stand and comfortably turn around.

He spends most of his day "free range" only going to his crate for bones/kongs/treats and sleep at night and for a nap after the morning walk. I'd say he spends a max of 2 hours in his crate daily - over than over night.

He has NEVER had a problem with his crate, as its been his happy place - only good thigns happen there and it is the only place he calms enough to sleep. If I leave him "free range" he doesn't rest let alone sleep. He used to put himself in there.

Over the past two weeks he has taken SO LONG to settle. He paces in the crate for a good 10 minutes before sleeping and will also whistle for a short time. On one occassion last week he howled when I left the room.

I must stress, I have not left him in the house alone for about a month so this issue has developed in that time. nothing stressful as happened in the crate, nothing unpleasant and I am at a complete loss to what could have started this.

I have gone back to basics on this one. Started crate training right back at square one and its not working.

I have looked online and found nothing helpful.

An example for you. Before I sat here to type this I took the dog out for a walk. We were out for 90 minutes. I then took him to the garden to toilet. I put him in his crate with a Kong. He paced for a god 10 minutes, which I ignored. Once he had settled I praised. 5 minutes later he is up again... and pacing... again I ignored. He has settled again and is outstretched and seemingly "out of it" but I know he'll be up again, seemingly with no trigger.

He does this at all times of day and I just can't figure it out.

He ALWAYS uses the toilet before going in, he has fresh water available and he is always well exercised/cuddled/ fed so I can't think of anything he is lacking.

If he were human, I'd say he was stroppy. But It really looks like anxiety to me.

Any ideas guys?
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I have been considering a calming air diffuser.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:26 PM
How old is your dog?
Is he entire?
Have you changed anything in the crate such as the bedding?
Is there something noisy near his crate that has not been there before eg a fan in this hot weather?
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
How old is your dog?
Is he entire?
Is there something noisy near his crate that has not been there before eg a fan in this hot weather?

8 months
Yes - No plans to change that unless for health reasons (WILL NOT be bred from)
No - Nothing, I am at a complete loss!
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
How old is your dog?
Is he entire?
Sorry SB, No bedding change either!

Hes being using a crate since..well birth!

Its not causing me problems except to look at. I am just concerned for his wellbeing really
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Have you changed his food recently?

Is there a bitch in season locally?

rune
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Have you changed his food recently?

Is there a bitch in season locally?

rune
No feed change

and not that I know of. Though he'd know I suppose.

We dont tend to meet many dogs out walking as we are in the middle of nowhere and those we do meet are usually male. Not met any "nasties" recently.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:53 PM
The reason I asked if he was entire is it sounds to me, if you have ruled out other environmental issues, that he may be feeling his oats...............
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
The reason I asked if he was entire is it sounds to me, if you have ruled out other environmental issues, that he may be feeling his oats...............
I suppose he could be! He seems to me to be the least interested out of all the dogs. Again, I suppose he is the "right age".

What do you reckon I should do? Wait it out? Go for a "temporary medical fix" like in implant to see how that goes?

As I say, he is completely unsuitable for any breeding program anywhere. The only reason to leave him entire was for health and temperament.

The only dog I ever had castrated "just because" turned aggressive soon after.

Morse is wonderful in EVERY WAY, and by far the best dog worker and pet I've ever had. I'd be reluctant to risk it changing.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
I would just ignore it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >