Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cavapoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2012, 01:33 PM

Being sick-eating grass

Quite often in the morning my dog barks to go outside-first thing he does is start to eat grass-as if that's the reason he asked to go outside-shortly afterwards he's sick (not even time but most) the sick just looks like froffy saliva with grass.

One morning we came down to a pile of this sick without the grass as he hadn't been outside-I don't think the grass is making him sick-well it maybe making him vomit but not really the cause of wanting to be sick maybe he's eating it as he knows it will bring the sick up???

Any ideas??

(he eats dried James well beloved and maybe titbits through out the day)
Cavapoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-08-2012, 01:34 PM
I thought I was writing this on the health forum-must have pressed the wrong button
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 02:04 PM
When do you feed him?? an empty tummy can cause frothy sick - and I would imagine if he is hungry/feeling sick then grass would be tempting

That said mine love nice fresh new grass and will beg to go outside and munch it - so yup eating grass dosent always mean anything other than they like eating grass

I would try a little supper just before bedtime and breakfast nice and early and see if the sick problem goes
- if not of course a vet check just to be sure
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 05:07 PM
I have to feed Spen late in the evening otherwise he's sick in the morning. A 10pm evening meal seems to stop it happening. Doesn't seem to happen at any other time, only if he's gone too long overnight, possibly coz he gets training treats or leftovers throughout the day.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't have a set routine with feeding/walking in the morning but if I go for a late morning walk and they haven't been fed Teg will eat grass and be sick.
If he has an early walk or has been fed before we walk he doesn't.
Hocus will scoff long grass on any walk if it's about and has never been sick from it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
I agree with what has already been said - Jimmi always has a couple of fish skin treats in bed after his last wee, and both our previous dogs had biscuits at bedtime just to "see them on"; a totally empty tummy overnight can cause sickness in the morning and of course there is little to come up but bile and froth.

The grass eating first thing may well stop if you feed some biccies at bedtime. Grass eating at other times is very normal
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Sounds as if he might be bilious and have an acidy stomach, which means that if he doesn't eat he may feel sick and thus eat grass.

My dog suffers from this. She gets regular meals through the day and I have to feed her by 7am at the latest or she will be sick, sometimes she will not eat afterwards and this can carry on for the whole day, so I always make sure she is fed so that her stomach is not empty too much.

Hth
Wys
x
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Sounds like 'empty tummy syndrome' so as others suggest, if you give a couple of biscuits or a small handful of normal kibble right at bedtime it will see him through the night. Lots of dogs seem to be eating grass at the moment here as the verges have been cut recently so lovely new grass is growing up and mine and the kennel dogs eat it just because they like it....no sickness from doing it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Totally agree with everyone else here. My dog has to have a few markies at 10 o'clock and maybe a bit of kibble or if she's lucky she gets scrambled eggs. First thing in the morning when we get up, I throw a couple of markies on the floor, she can take them or leave them, usually she takes them. It's just enough to settle her tum before our morning walk, but not too much to cause bloating. I'm sure you'll find a few biscuits or a small handful of kibble at night, and first thing should do the trick. Sometimes I used to give a dollop of live yoghurt first thing in the morning, it made me feel better that her stomach got a good coating, but she enjoyed it too.
Cavapoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone, my dog only seems to eat if he's really hungry-illput biscuits down and he won't touch them for ages-never has two lots a day. Training has told me off for leaving biscuits down saying I should take them away after half an hour..... But I hate to think he is hungry inbetween try's..... I don't think he likes dog food-but I can't enter the world of cooking fresh etc for both time,cost and ensuring nutrients........ He often spends the evening with a chew etc...