Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peterh505
New Member!
Male 

04-08-2012, 04:50 PM

New pound dog terrier mix not getting along with my bulldog

Hey guys, does anyone have advice on what I should do to try and get my new terrier (got him yesterday, he's mostly Jack Russell I'd say) to get along better with my bulldog? They're both just over a year old, and they got along fine at the Humane Society and get along fine when I take them both on walks, but when they're at home, the Terrier (named Harley by the workers, and I might keep it) snarls and growls every time he sees my bulldog Tank. Tank isn't usually reacting, and they haven't actually fought, but Harley sometimes starts approaching him while snarling and growling and it looks like he's gonna attack him. Tank is mostly just kind of ignoring him, as is a submissive, well-mannered dog.

I like Harley, he's cute and is nice to people, but this will not fly if it continues so I'm trying to figure out how to get him to relax. Most of the advice I've found says to keep them separated for a while, but that's not practical to do for me, due to the layout of my house, without keeping one outside and it's over 100 degrees in New Mexico right now. I got a water bottle and have sprayed either of them when they growl or snarl (mostly Harley, since he's doing a majority of it) but it isn't stopping the behavior. Does anyone have any other advice on what I might do?

Thanks so much!

Peter

Also, here's Tank if anyone wants to see him (I'm a proud papa ) ... I don't have any pictures uploaded of Harley yet

https://www.[a social network].com/tank.horan "another site" replace that with "Faecbook"..err but spelled right
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Hi and welcome. Sorry you are having problems with Harley settling in with Tank but it is early days. I haven't got the experience so cannot comment but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some suggestions.

Would love to see a photo of Tank, but your link hasn't worked - well it didn't for me.

Good luck and I hope you can sort out the behaviour.
peterh505
New Member!
Male 

06-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Guess not on the suggestions, thanks anyway Jenny...
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Hi Peter, I really don't know why nobody else has come back to this thread. You've done the right thing by 'posting' a comment on it which will bring it back up to the top of the list.
Have things settled a little?
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2012, 08:13 AM
First of all well done for rescuing a dog!
I would first ask the shelter for advice. Let them know your having problems (if you haven't already) and ask them for the number of a behaviourist who uses positive methods.
IMO the spray bottle should go in the bin... All you are teaching your dog is that when he/she is worried and shows that it is worried it will get punished. Once your dog learns to stop snapping/growling but still feels worried or aggressive how can it warn both you and your dog?
Without seeing what is going on between them I cannot offer any further advice. You really need to get someone in who can watch them carefully and guide you with some good advice.
Avoid anyone who talks about dominant, you need someone who works on building the relationship between your dogs so they enjoy each others company.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Welcome to Dogsey. Your link worked for me and the photo of Tank with the other dog is lovely. Hope you get this sorted out. I have no experience of owning two dogs to draw on to advise you.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi, I'm sorry I don't have a lot to offer, but tbh I think it is very early days yet although of course you are right to be concerned. I agree with the spray bottle comment - ditch it! I think it's little steps really. The new pup has obviously been through some issues in his short life so of course is feeling insecure and wondering what is going on. Maybe he had to fight his corner at the pound and before he was 'captured' so is just continuing this behaviour. Tank sounds as if he is handling the situation nicely at the moment though. I think all you can do is keep a close watch on Harley and let him know verbally or by distraction that you won't tolerate this behaviour. I'm sure things will settle down for you all. Good luck and keep us posted.x
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I think your new terrier is trying to show your bulldog he is top dog! Its good that your bulldog doesn't react much heres hopping it should just blow over once your new rescue realises the bulldog is not a threat to him.

I have used a spray bottle to no ill effects it tought my Millie to keep out of the greenhouse and to stop chewing all the plant pots!

Not much to offer really you could think about getting a baby gate so when your out their not left together .

Ive heard how good baby gates can be when introducing new rescues to the household but as others have said its early days yet hang in their!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
While I would prefer other methods for teaching a dog to stop chewing certain things and keep out of a restricted area, I can see that a spray bottle would work quite quickly and not have any major down sides, however the OP is punishing the dog for expressing it's 'feelings' ie when the dog warns the other dog not to approach he is getting reprimanded, this doesn't stop the other dog from approaching, nor does it help the first dog feel any more comfortable about it happening.
With the area restriction you are simply reinforcing that bad things happen when you go in here, so dog simply learns, I don't want to go in there, because bad things happen.
We should be encouraging this new dog to feel more at ease with the bulldog, rather than adding more negative feelings towards it.
peterh505
New Member!
Male 

06-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone... yeah, maybe I should lose the spray bottle... I've only been doing that when it looks like they might fight (when Harley starts really getting in Tank's face and looks like he might bite) .. I think I will call the Humane Society today, good idea, thanks... thanks to all who replied... they also seem to be getting somewhat better, although slowly.. I'll keep ya all updated
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >