Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Leg Cocking

My 6 month old BT has recently mastered the art of leg cocking, which is great. Except he has to do it EVERYWHERE. When we are out walking he's allowed to have a proper pee but if on the lead if he takes (sorry for the turn of phrase!) the pee then I just keep on walking.

Twice I have been to houses that have or had other dogs and he has cocked his leg indoors, he knows this isn't allowed and is perfectly toilet trained both at home and away.

How do I train him so that he knows that scenting indoors isn't allowed under any circumstances? Should I be stricter with him when walking too? What about when he is off lead?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 03:56 PM
What do you mean stricter? in what way are you being strict just now?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 04:04 PM
My dog sitter says the majority of dogs she has to stay will scent mark in her house at least once (mine all did apparently) when they first come to say, despite being completely toilet trained.

So I don't think the fact that your dog did that once will is too much of an issue. Hopefully he won't do it again!

I have to say that my male dogs completely stopped marking on walks when they were neutered.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Both of my two would 'mark' when we visited houses where other dogs lived - so embarrassing. They did it on two consecutive visits and then it fortunately stopped. Not sure if that was because they had 'marked' the property as theirs or if it coincided with them having the male contraceptive implant. They are now 18 months and fortunately stopped doing it some months ago
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-08-2012, 05:03 PM
opie has done this a couple of times now when we've visted bailey's blinds house its strange because hes neve offered to do it at other friends houses who have dogs
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Jake has only ever marked in a house once, and that was my friends house. She had an elderly dog who would do the toilet right in front of you, and Jake did it over it.

That same friend rehomed a dog, and when he first went in the house, he peed everywhere. She spent a couple of days constantly cleaning up after him, but he hasn't done it since. She thinks it is because the smell of her elderly dogs pee must have been all over the place because he stayed with another woman, who had a dog, before she got him and he didn't do it in the other woman's house.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Whenever we have dogs boarding, the first thing they learn is it is good to go to the toilet outside.

I then keep a watchful eye on them until they have settled and am ready to interrupt if they start to raise a leg. A mop and bucket is always on hand if I am to late.

If they are completely house-trained at home, a well-timed interruptor reminds them no peeing indoors and once they have familiarised themselves with their new environment They seem to lose that initial urge to mark.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-08-2012, 07:34 AM
Each year while I've had Teg we've been on holiday to a place in skegness that allows dogs and has had dogs in before us. Every time the monster has cocked his leg on a particular armchair even though I make sure he has been a wee before we go in.
This year I shall be watching even more closely than normal as will be the first year Hocus has been and where Teg wees Hocus is sure to follow!

Not sure why it is always the armchair unless that is where all the dogs that go have a piddle.

I am strict about scent marking on lead walks, it isn't allowed basically. Off lead they can scent to their hearts desire.
Having Teg castrated at 5years old hasn't stopped him.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2012, 01:44 PM
I think dog's hormones have gone a bit crazy, he's started making love to the sofa, a lot. So he's booked in to have his nuts off on Friday, hopefully this should stop him wanting to mark quite so much! *Fingers crossed*
Whoopy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2012, 02:48 PM
My previous always tried to do this in a new hosue with a resident dog, I just had to catch him before a puddle appeared and he didn't try again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >