Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:43 PM

Video Of Bird Of Prey In Our Garden!

This bird of prey attacked a pigeon in our garden while it was feeding, Sid thought the bird was dead and took a quick bit of footage of it on our camera as he knows I like birds. However, the pigeon moved as he filmed so he went out and chased the bird of prey away and saved the pigeon, it flew off unharmed, whaay!

I'm unsure what it is, Sid said it def was not a kestrel it was much bigger, any ideas? We don't have much of it on video I'm afraid.

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Had the same thing here last summer, almost every night out on the front lawn. Mine had feathery legs and was as big as that, and I don't think the kestrel has the feathery legs, but the falcons do? Can't really see the picture too clearly, but it looks brown, whereas the one we had was grey. Hopefully someone will come along. It was always a pigeon it caught too, but I was always too late to ward it off
patterdale fan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:26 PM
OH (who thinks he's an expert on these things!) says it's a Sparrow Hawk. Especially as it's trying to eat a pigeon. We have lots of these around here, but it's quite upsetting when they catch robins etc.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Looks like a Common Buzzard to me, they frequently take wood and feral pigeon by me.
Dawn.
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2006, 07:59 PM
My OH has just had a look and he also thinks it's a Sparrow Hawk.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 09:23 PM
I can't get the video to work But I'm glad the pigeon lived I know the other birds have to eat but you don't really want to be there when they do!
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Video Not very clear. Dont know what it is ,but looks like its standing on a Cat. not much help am I
cumbriandoglover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2006, 04:31 PM
video not working for me but no raptors have feathery legs!!! Buzzards rarely take pigeons as they are too fast for them. normally only larger non indigenous long wings being flown by a falconer or austringer are large & take pigeons. other options are peregrines who love pigeons!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 08:46 PM
They take Woodies all the time by me, we frequently watch them, in fact at least every other day. Only the other day I saw one take one from off the golf course, we have loads around, especially now most of the land is arable.
Dawn.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by cumbriandoglover
video not working for me but no raptors have feathery legs!!! Buzzards rarely take pigeons as they are too fast for them. normally only larger non indigenous long wings being flown by a falconer or austringer are large & take pigeons. other options are peregrines who love pigeons!
Falcons have feathers on their legs don't they?? When I watched the live webcam of the falcons on Springwatch last year, I'm sure it had feathers on it's legs? The bird in our garden definitely did, and I spent ages looking it up to find out what it was as none of them had feathers, but the falcon definitely does, I'm sure?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >