Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Spaying and house training

Hi

Just a quick question to see if anyone else has experienced this.

My three yr old retired greyhound was spayed last Friday and from then house training has gone array . She has had numerous accidents in the house since , is this common or just coincidence. She is recovering really well. She has been home a month now and prior to the op house training was going real well with accidents being the exception rather than the rule.

Many Thanks
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 11:51 AM
There are a number of reasons I can think of why this may be happening such as:
  • just feeling uncomfortable so she doesn't want to have to go
  • feeling sore so she can't tell very well when she needs to go
  • picking up a urinary infection
  • possibility of the op causing incontinence.

Does she seem like she is aware of what she is doing?

I would have a chat to the vet about it (he may want a sample of her wee, which is always fun to try and collect!)

Don't fret too much about the last possibility at the moment - its pretty rare this happens and even if it was that, there are drugs that can usually control it. Hopefully it will just be that she's feeling uncomfortable and as she improves, her house training will come back.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Thank you , at the vets tomorrow with the other hound for suture removal so will mention it then to be on the safe side, she doesnt seem to be in any pain and everything else is as normal ,maybe just a blip , we can start again and get there !