Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Netpon View Post
*sigh* Have they not heard of dog catcher poles? Or sedative darts. Who knows what these dogs would have been like if they had been removed from the situation and given time to settle. I bet you any money if it had been 2 labs reacting this way they would have done things differently.
Absolutely - why not call a vet? Or a dog warden? I know Daisy & Shamus would act the same if I needed assistance.
Gizmoli626
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I mean they said they had what.. 6 police officers at the scene and they were all "terrified" ???? Grrrr these stupid people make me so angry! Vets everyday have to deal with aggressive dogs ... i don't see them shooting or tasering them!!!
Deborahjane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Heard this on local news...Man had heart attack and the dogs were protecting him. Police and rspca had tried to get the dogs away from him without sucess. A very sad story. The dogs were only doing what they thought was right. The man died at the scene as para medics couldnt get near him. The other rottie was pts at the scene after seeing its owner and canine friend die.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Absolutely - why not call a vet? Or a dog warden? I know Daisy & Shamus would act the same if I needed assistance.

Originally Posted by Gizmoli626 View Post
I mean they said they had what.. 6 police officers at the scene and they were all "terrified" ???? Grrrr these stupid people make me so angry! Vets everyday have to deal with aggressive dogs ... i don't see them shooting or tasering them!!!
There was a vet at the scene - he PTS the second dog after it ran away into someones garden. They wanted to save it, but like the first dog, it behaved so out of control they felt it was a danger to the public so tazered it then PTS

As I said earlier, apparently they had tried for over 2hrs to get to the owner but couldn't get anywhere close to him because the dogs were acting so aggressively to anyone who approached, obviously guarding their owner. They tried titbits and coaching, to no avail. Anyone approaching got charged at and believe me there won't be many other breeds more intimidating than two Rotties guarding that way!

I'm not defending what happened, but I guess it is easy for us to say we would have done things differently, however it must have been extremely frightening to have two very large Rotts, so determindly protecting their master. Catch-poles can easily be by-passed (especially when there are two of them) and I for one wouldn't like to be trying to capture two Rotts on full-alert and seeing red.

It is dreadfully sad, especially when I read a later article that stated a neighbour said he knew the dogs for a long time and had never seen them behave aggressively.

Sad story for all concerned, mostly of course the poor man who died and perhaps could have been saved if he wasn't being defended so well ironically
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
There was a vet at the scene - he PTS the second dog after it ran away into someones garden. They wanted to save it, but like the first dog, it behaved so out of control they felt it was a danger to the public so tazered it then PTS

As I said earlier, apparently they had tried for over 2hrs to get to the owner but couldn't get anywhere close to him because the dogs were acting so aggressively to anyone who approached, obviously guarding their owner. They tried titbits and coaching, to no avail. Anyone approaching got charged at and believe me there won't be many other breeds more intimidating than two Rotties guarding that way!

I'm not defending what happened, but I guess it is easy for us to say we would have done things differently, however it must have been extremely frightening to have two very large Rotts, so determindly protecting their master. Catch-poles can easily be by-passed (especially when there are two of them) and I for one wouldn't like to be trying to capture two Rotts on full-alert and seeing red.

It is dreadfully sad, especially when I read a later article that stated a neighbour said he knew the dogs for a long time and had never seen them behave aggressively.

Sad story for all concerned, mostly of course the poor man who died and perhaps could have been saved if he wasn't being defended so well ironically
how sad, though I have said before, I dont think my lot would take well to people coming near me if I dropped on a walk, my lot are not aggressive in any way, but I think they are so wired into there owners they know if somethings wrong and it trips a switch in there heads, I guess its what rotties do, defend to the end,
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

It is extremely sad for all concerned, but from AM's report of what happened, I don't think there was much choice unfortunately
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3