Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fetchmyslippers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Can you change a dog's name ?

Hi, I'm hoping to adopt a rescue dog sometime soon (just started looking) but I was wondering - can you change a dog's name ? If so at what age ? Should it sound similar to their old name ?

I'm wondering what would happen if we found the best dog ever, but it had an unbearable name !

Any advice gratefully received ...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Yes you can. Just start calling the dog by it's new name and it will pick up on it quickly.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Yes you can change the name without a problem - some people initially use both names but you could just start from scratch with new name and lots of treats.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Yes, you can, very easily, at any age.

Kip, who was probably about 8 years old when we rescued him, had no known history, so we didn't know his previous name.
Stumpy (about 3 years old when we got her) had been called Isla in the shelter for 4 months, but her previous name was unknown

They both learnt the names we gave them in a couple of days.

Our third rescue, Hoki, who was about 6 years old when we got her, had a name the same as my SIL which I thought might be confusing, so we changed her name too (the dogs name that is, not the SIL's )

Just be consistant when using the name - only for something nice (e.g. calling them to you for a treat) and not for anything negative (telling them off for something they may have done wrong).

I see you are based in Edinburgh - all mine have come from the SSPCA (2 from Balerno, one from Bothwell).

Do you have any idea of what type of dog you want? I help out at a rescue centre in the Borders and can keep an eye out for you if you'd like?

Good luck in your search, I can't wait to hear how you get on.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 05:09 PM
As everyone has said - dogs are so adaptable

Best of luck in your search
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2009, 05:15 PM
yes , i have rescues and its common for me to do so ...BO was ,spot.....KO was,sucker punch sally,EA was ,bella.no troubles and they ajusted in 2 weeks or less
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 05:16 PM
They adapt very easily to new names! One of mine I kept his name, Charlie as it seemed to suit him, the other I changed to something that sounded nothing like his original and he knew it was his new name before his first week here was up! He has only been with us since August and he won't even turn his head to his old name now. Best of luck!
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes you can! Have treats ready and when the dog looks at you say its new name and 'good boy/girl' and give a treat repeat this several times over a few days, then drop the 'good girl' bit and just give the treat and he/she will soon learn that the name means 'look at me'.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes , I have done it . I just never used the old name at all and the dog very quickly adapted to what I called her
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 05:24 PM
good advice already given,

Im thinking of changing vinnies name to useless.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >