Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Not looking for compensation, I think they should not of discharged her without medication as the Sister on the ward today said she should of had enough to of covered her till these were ready. They are very important according to the Sister on duty today. Just hoping to stop it happening again I know it probably won't but at least I will of tried to stop it happening again.
I understand how you feel.

I agree, that without medication (if it's important) she shouldnt have been discharged so promptly.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I understand how you feel.

I agree, that without medication (if it's important) she shouldnt have been discharged so promptly.
Unfortunately it seems to be the norm now.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Unfortunately it seems to be the norm now.
Yes it is. We complained when my twins nearly died due to a trainee's negligence in administering dangerous medication to them as newborns, and the Hospital arranged a meeting in a posh hotel, dinner, expenses, compensation etc etc.

We turned it all down, in favour of a written apology, suspension of the Nurse (It wasnt the first time she'd done it) and a review into whom gets to work in SCBU (Newborn Intensive Care).

It was long and lengthy, but we got what we asked for, including the review, so complaints can work, if you keep your cool and deal with them how they least expect

I hope your Mum recovers soon, and good luck !
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 07:13 PM
hope your mum recovers quickly,
my OH got a phone call from the hospital can he come down straight away. so he did and was taken into a room, there was a doctor, a couple of suits. and a sectary all recording what was said. they had made a right mess of MILs operation, well wasnt the op it was the anesthetic, they went in through her neck!!! hit the wrong vein and she bled out, almost died.
but the hospital was covering their butts with all those legal ppl there, didnt realise u need to take a solicitor when u go into visit some one.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Sounds like somethings gone wrong somewhere? It's weird because in my experience we're usually getting stick from the patients for having to wait for their medications before discharge!

Truth be told hospitals are so short staffed (and people being off sick as a result of being worked to the bone) that many nurses have double, even triple, the work load, hence more mistakes are being made, resulting in big law suits, compensation claims and the NHS trusts being thousands of pounds out of pocket. It's MAD, the trusts are trying to cut back costs by cutting back on staff but in reality it's costing them more through compensation claims in the long run anyway!

I've been qualified 1 year and they were already trying to make me take charge of the ward! Did I have any training for it? Nope! Would I get any? NOPE!

That's how these accidents happen imo.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:03 PM
I have to say every time I've been to Hospital either for myself or visiting, they never seem understaffed, it's just usually difficult to get anyone's attention with 7 nurses talking about the night befores episode of Corrie at the nurses station !!!
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Poor mum. Yes, Lynn, I would be complaining
Totally agree Vicki x

It's awful really xx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I have to say every time I've been to Hospital either for myself or visiting, they never seem understaffed, it's just usually difficult to get anyone's attention with 7 nurses talking about the night befores episode of Corrie at the nurses station !!!
7 nurses????? We're lucky if there's 3 of us on a shift! And even then 2 of us are usually busy taking phone calls from several different relatives of the same patient! Why don't people talk to each other anymore?!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Sounds like somethings gone wrong somewhere? It's weird because in my experience we're usually getting stick from the patients for having to wait for their medications before discharge!

Truth be told hospitals are so short staffed (and people being off sick as a result of being worked to the bone) that many nurses have double, even triple, the work load, hence more mistakes are being made, resulting in big law suits, compensation claims and the NHS trusts being thousands of pounds out of pocket. It's MAD, the trusts are trying to cut back costs by cutting back on staff but in reality it's costing them more through compensation claims in the long run anyway!

I've been qualified 1 year and they were already trying to make me take charge of the ward! Did I have any training for it? Nope! Would I get any? NOPE!

That's how these accidents happen imo.
I do understand that and feel sorry for the Nurses,I feel the Doctor who discharged her should be in trouble but then again they are overworked too. but I have to do something I can't let it lie. I may also be in touch with the Local MP
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2008, 08:54 PM
If it was my Mum , I'd be going ballistic ! Surely they shouldn't have sent her home without meds. As far as being "too busy" and "understaffed" (sorry Emma) , any time I have ever been in a hospital , the number of nurses standing around just chatting is a disgrace. My last visit to hospital just after christmas was a joke. I'd been in excruciating pain from 3-30 am , after 3 days of vomiting up everything that passed my lips , strong painkillers included. I'd called the doctor out to the house twice and she had called an ambulance. After a 4 hour wait for an ambulance , I then had to wait 2 hours in hospital before someone saw me. This wasn't even A&E , it was the Acute Receiving Unit and was called in by my doctor ! After the 2 hour wait , a doctor came and asked me some questions , no physical examination , and then left. After another 2 hours , my Mum and I were so fed up that we decided to leave. A nurse stopped us and told us to wait. Another half hour later , the same nurse came back and gave me a little bottle of tablets to stop me from being sick then discharged me. My next appointment is with a neurosurgeon on 15th April at 2-20pm (YEAH RIGHT !). No doubt I'll have a long wait so I'll have to take that night off work. It really makes my blood boil when you are told the NHS is short of money , and then you read in the papers that they spend thousands on taxis to transport samples or medical documents. Not that long ago , on the 6 O' Clock ITV News , they said that NHS Scotland had seen ALL patients within 18 weeks for referrals. I'd like to know what happened to my MRI scan then. I was referred on the 12th December and never heard another word about it. My employer paid for a private scan as the NHS were taking so long ! I better calm down now and stop hijacking your thread . I hope you get things sorted out with your Mum , and that she gets better soon. And yes , make a complaint about the way she has been treated.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >