View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
its a bloody nightmare when the girls are in season, teagan is just coming into season now, when she has finished holly will come in a week or so later,

this time the boys will be out in the kennel during the day and in at night when the girls are locked up in a cage up stairs, but the boys will not be allowed upstairs,

kaos can open the end of the cage now, a trick he learned at the end of hollys last season im not talking about the door end either, its the other end, god knows how he does it but he can get the top clip out and squeeeeeeezzzzze through the tiny gap, lucky for us last time she was passed the time to mate, that and I dont think he could have managed to do the deed in the cage anyway, that said, im sure he would have figured somit out had we not heard the cage rattle around and came down and caught him

I guess what im saying is........where theres a willie theres a way, you cant be up to the little darlings

good luck. I have found the only real answer is using our kennels
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 09:44 PM
I think its gonna totally depend on how dandy reacts.

I had an entire dog and a bitch in season.. Every evening i could happily sit with sadie on the sofa with me and yoda laid on the floor..he wouldnt hassle- even at her most fertile time...BUT if they were locked in seperate rooms/crates he would go crazy for her..

I think it is manageable if you have your wits about you 24/7 and if they are left then i would crate one and also make sure there are 2 doors between them.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Total and utter nightmare! Kennels is the only thing that works here.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm about to get into this situation soon and I've found this thread very interesting. I have a kennel/run in the garden, but depending on how Anubis reacts with the noise I might either see if his breeder will take him on for a couple of weeks or arrange for him to stay in kennels. If he takes after his dad then this would definately be on the cards....
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
its a bloody nightmare when the girls are in season, teagan is just coming into season now, when she has finished holly will come in a week or so later,

this time the boys will be out in the kennel during the day and in at night when the girls are locked up in a cage up stairs, but the boys will not be allowed upstairs,

kaos can open the end of the cage now, a trick he learned at the end of hollys last season im not talking about the door end either, its the other end, god knows how he does it but he can get the top clip out and squeeeeeeezzzzze through the tiny gap, lucky for us last time she was passed the time to mate, that and I dont think he could have managed to do the deed in the cage anyway, that said, im sure he would have figured somit out had we not heard the cage rattle around and came down and caught him

I guess what im saying is........where theres a willie theres a way, you cant be up to the little darlings

good luck. I have found the only real answer is using our kennels
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Total, total nightmare and never again!

Never under estimate the willingness of an intact dog and bitch when the time is right. I left Oscar downstairs behind the kitchen stair gate and Isla shut in my bedroom, when I came back from shopping over 1 hour later they were both in the living room together! Bloody ironic considering Oscar can't even jump into the back of the car!

If you live in a multi person/large house then perhaps it wouldn't be so bad, but even then you can never be sure....
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Dandy has met in season bitches and taken an interest, but I'll have to see how interested he is in Rio when the time comes. I don't think Rio had a particularly strong scent on her first season, as she started whilst we were away at a show, and she was with loads of other dogs. The only one that showed any interest was her dad, but he's (obviously) a stud dog, so that may make a difference. I will look into the implant that Joedee suggested though. Thing is, I trust myself to keep them safe, but everyone else in my house is a bit dozy! They usually come to work with me every day too and hang out in a kennel run in the salon, so I'll have to have Rio in the run and Dandy loose I think. He won't wander anyway, he's a good boy. She's like bloody Houdini though!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Just Googled this:

World's First Pet Contraceptive

A new contraceptive implant for canines offers the advantages of castration without surgery.
Now available in commercial quantities in Australia and New Zealand, Suprelorin, the world's first pet contraceptive, is implanted under the skin between the shoulders to reduce a male dog's testosterone levels to zero and cease reproductive function for six months. Inserted with an implanter similar to those used for micro-chipping, Suprelorin slowly releases deslorelin, a hormone similar to those used to treat human prostate cancer. The low, continuous dose of deslorelin prevents the produc*tion of sex hormones. The biocompatible implant disappears over time.

Soon pet owners may be able to prevent their male dogs from breeding without castrating them thanks to Suprelorin, a canine birth control implant developed in Australia. "Some male owners, particularly those with 'macho' breeds of dogs, are not keen to castrate their pets," said Dr. Tim Trigg, managing director for Peptech Animal Health (Sydney, Australia), which markets Suprelorin.

"A quick and easy implant gives them a more humane, cost-effective choice that leaves their dogs intact but is equally efficacious. The same benefits apply to dogs being shown, of course." In addition to preventing reproduction, the implant treats testosterone related behavioural problems.

It also is approved to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, a non cancerous enlargement of the prostate gland common in older dogs that have not been neutered.

Trials show Suprelorin is also effective in controlling populations of Elephants, Lions, Cheetahs, Monkeys, Dolphins, Seals, Koalas and Kangaroos.

Sounds interesting, but would reducing his testosterone at his age (he will be 12 months) be a problem? Will his fertility definitely return? And also he's overcoming some fear issues, maybe a reduction in testosterone could be detrimental to him?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Just Googled this:

World's First Pet Contraceptive

A new contraceptive implant for canines offers the advantages of castration without surgery.
Now available in commercial quantities in Australia and New Zealand, Suprelorin, the world's first pet contraceptive, is implanted under the skin between the shoulders to reduce a male dog's testosterone levels to zero and cease reproductive function for six months. Inserted with an implanter similar to those used for micro-chipping, Suprelorin slowly releases deslorelin, a hormone similar to those used to treat human prostate cancer. The low, continuous dose of deslorelin prevents the produc*tion of sex hormones. The biocompatible implant disappears over time.

Soon pet owners may be able to prevent their male dogs from breeding without castrating them thanks to Suprelorin, a canine birth control implant developed in Australia. "Some male owners, particularly those with 'macho' breeds of dogs, are not keen to castrate their pets," said Dr. Tim Trigg, managing director for Peptech Animal Health (Sydney, Australia), which markets Suprelorin.

"A quick and easy implant gives them a more humane, cost-effective choice that leaves their dogs intact but is equally efficacious. The same benefits apply to dogs being shown, of course." In addition to preventing reproduction, the implant treats testosterone related behavioural problems.

It also is approved to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, a non cancerous enlargement of the prostate gland common in older dogs that have not been neutered.

Trials show Suprelorin is also effective in controlling populations of Elephants, Lions, Cheetahs, Monkeys, Dolphins, Seals, Koalas and Kangaroos.

Sounds interesting, but would reducing his testosterone at his age (he will be 12 months) be a problem? Will his fertility definitely return? And also he's overcoming some fear issues, maybe a reduction in testosterone could be detrimental to him?
I'm pretty sure Dianne had it put into one of her pups at a young age without problems, but you'd have to double check with her. I don't think it would harm him, I think you can use it from 6 months of age? It was something I seriously considered but in the end it was just easier to spay Isla as she was no longer breeding material anyway!

I would be concerned re the fear issues and the removal of testosterone tbh, but then it isn't permanent so perhaps not too much to worry about?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Roy was 2 when he had his first implant, he was one of the first dogs in the country to have it as it was released on the Monday & he had his implant on the Thursday. I wouldn't use it on a growing dog, but I am quite happy with using it on a dog 18 months upwards.

The fertility has been proven to return & dogs have produced litters after having had the implant previously.

It's widely used in Zoos & breeding programs for endangered species, to prevent inbreeding or over breeding.

I have actually recommended to people with dogs with fear issues before the vets persuade them that castration will help. If the fear is reduced after implantation them castration can safely go ahead, but if it doesn't then castration would be a pointless & unnecessary invasive procedure
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >