Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2005, 08:53 PM

Water pressure

Might be a question for the men?
Can you adjust the pressure in the home yourself or is it an outside job?
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-01-2005, 08:56 PM
not sure
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Pressure is dictated as far as I know from the mains you can ask the wate board for your area what the water pressure should be.

If it has dropped noticably it could be that you have a leak in the mains water pipe ask your neighbours if they have suffered the same thing.

If neither of the above is the reason then you can fit a pump that boosts the water pressure.

Karen (not a man)
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

10-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Lel yes you can increase the pressure your self just by fitting a pump to the supply. It won't increase the amount of water flow just the rise in pressure at the taps.

Then you have another problem water bye laws in the uk do not allow you to conect a water pump to the mains supply.

Even you could get done for connecting a water pressure cleaner like the ones for cleaning the patio.

Mr.Leo (A MAN)
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 07:37 AM
Hi Lel.

I´m not a man (last time I checked ) but am working at an office but for a plummer.
I may not have the answer but can perhaps get you help if you want to? (only questions...think its too far to drive and fix )

Is it everywhere in the house the waterpressure is low? Or just in the bathroom? Kitchen?

Will try and see if I can find the english term for it, but in most cases we come to people with same problem and its coursed by "the perlators".
They are sitting on the end of taps and gets filled with dirt and will not only take away the waterpressure but also make your taps run all the time..

It can also be (depending on your water-"system") that...argh its hard to descriebe in english.. Well I´ll try my best

We call it "kalk" and its the things that get stuck it the pipes, etc. and can be removed (depending on where it is) by either speciel tablets, cleaning products made especially for that or by sending lots of water with high pressure through the system.
In some cases it can not be removed and theres a bigger job in changing pipes etc. there

It can be all sort of things, but first it was good to know where the problem is, and what system your are using....
Meg
Supervisor

11-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Lel you can adjust water pressure to a certain extent by turning the stop cock up on the rising main This is the point/tap/valve where the external water supply enters you house and is often found in the kitchen, it's the place where you turn the water on and off if anyone is fitting new/bath/kitchen or anything. When they do they frequently fail to turn it back to the required pressure on completing the work.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Thnks everyone
Mini I wondered whether that would do the trick and I actually know where it is too (clever me)

The reason I ask is that the hot water tap does not seem to be as strong pressure wise as the cold water tap for some reason. It hasnt been touched in the house so I wonder whether any external works/maintenance are going on in my area?

We are having on-off problems with the hot water going off occasionally to the upstairs and I know water pressure can sometimes have something to do with it? We have a combi boiler which is still heating the radiators and taps downstairs- but sometimes wont heat upstairs?
Meg
Supervisor

11-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Lel in my experience the hot water pressure is always lower than the cold unless you have a pump of some sort to boost it, (cos it is sitting in a tank and not pushed through under pressure as the rising main is ) therefore turning the pressure up on the rising main may not affect it much. Am not a plumber but have at times been a distraught woman faced with idiot men so usually do plumbing jobs myself
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2005, 10:17 AM
I'll get the kettle on - can you come round this afternoon
I'll buy some choccy bix
Meg
Supervisor

11-01-2005, 10:19 AM
yes that would be lovely..any smoked salmon left sadly I have to be back at work