View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 11:15 AM
EBT are totally misunderstood imo, I realise you get good and bad in all breeds...the bullies I know are amazing dogs, so full of life and character, love attention...from anyone, I was very wary before I got Toro, I loved the breed but hadn't met that many so went on the misconception of the breed more than anything, don't get me wrong she has been very hard work, what with nipping, jumping up, destroying things, I have worked very hard with her to ensure she is very social, the hard work has paid off she is a wee pleasure to own, I can see now why a lot of people would give up on the breed too because of the work needed, but I definately believe with this breed its the owners not the nature of the dog !
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I hate how misunderstood Poodles are. Prissy they are NOT! The poodles I have known were/are some of the toughest, most athletic dogs. Smart, and very willing to learn (as long as they aren't bored) They can be trained to do anything. I want one to train to retrieve, so when i go bird hunting... I wont loose any. I think the poodle is one of the most versatile dogs. Prissy my A$$!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I believe that most breeds have a reputation for a reason Of course there will be many exceptions

I have GSDs and BCs.

German shepherds are considered noisy and aggressive by Joe Public - unfortunately there are a good number who are

Border collies are considered manic, hyper and snappy. Again, there will be a certain amount who are like this.

I don't agree with pigeon-holing breeds and you should take each one on their own merit ... but the breeds will have got a reputation for a reason, and bad behaviour is always more memorable than good (in the public's mind).
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 03:14 PM
The taxi driver who brought me home from work today told me that Bedlington terriers are vicious

That's because he knew a kid, 50 years ago, who had half his ear bitten off by one. So ALL Bedlingtons are vicious
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 03:16 PM
i think most breeds are missunderstoog by gp

poodles, bimbos
when they are v smart

small dogs, dont have legs, untrainable and dont need treated like dogs

border collies, totaly obedient and really easy to train but need to run for hours every day and will herd anything

rescues, damaged goods

crossbreeds, not as good as purebreeds
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 03:46 PM
A commom big dog misconception is that they cost a lot to feed. Well of course they cost more that feeding small dogs, but they don't need that much. Most people feed over the recommended amount anyway which is why there are so many over weight dogs around.

as the owner of a rare breed I often get 'they must have cost you a fortune to buy.' well no actually, I don't consider their purchase price to be over the odds, and they are actually cheaper than a lot of the trendy breeds (Chihuahuas, bulldogs) and designer 'doodle' breeds.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i think most breeds are missunderstoog by gp

poodles, bimbos
when they are v smart

small dogs, dont have legs, untrainable and dont need treated like dogs

border collies, totaly obedient and really easy to train but need to run for hours every day and will herd anything

rescues, damaged goods

Oh yes I hear a lot of negative things about rescues and cross breeds. So sad that the public have this misconception.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
rescues, damaged goods

Those misconceptions are not just the general public - some dog owners think that way too
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Iown GSDs and a GSD/Akita (with another Akita coming soon).

My GSDs are the biggest wimps on earth. They can be noisy when they play of if someone is hanging around in the school playground at the back of our garden but generally they're very qwuiet. And they wouldn't know what aggression or viciousness was!

Akita (or those that I've had to date) ar the most loving, caring and loyal dogs I've ever known. Again, they've no idea how to be nasty. And Akitas don't bark generally unless there is very good reason, so not noisy either.

There are many people, ven those I see out alking daily, who've asked how I cope with a young son and aggressive or nasty dogs. And some of those people are dog owners themselves.

I consider the GP to be stupid, uneducated and unwilling to learn. I don't mean anyone in particuar - I mean society in general.

Laura xx
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Dobermanns - Don't even go there
Gorgeous misunderstood creatures, not that we care
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »