Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 07:02 AM

Scientific proof that dogs (and cats) are good for us

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...edicalresearch

None of this is particularly new but it's all very interesting and good to know.

(Ignore the picture of the hamster, cute as it is, as it's been attached to the wrong article.)

J
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Very interesting MS I know if I am feeling down a walk with Chloe through the fields makes me feel much better.

I understand walking like many sporting activities results in the release of endorphins and this leads to a feeling of wellbeing. Stroking out pets makes us relax and this in turn reduces the heart rate lowering blood pressure.

As the article shows there really are many benefits to having a dog in addition to the companionship they so willing give to us...
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 10:06 AM
A very interst article,perhaps that's the reason I'm very rarely ill all that walking.....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Stroking out pets makes us relax and this in turn reduces the heart rate lowering blood pressure.
There have been many studies supporting this one, it's a proven fact 'tho that still doesn't stop final year uni, students from doing yet another thesis about it You'd think the academic world would have 'spotted' this trend wouldn't you

The other stuff is interesting and far less researched and as you say it shows how dogs can improve our lives in so many ways.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Normally I would agree that dogs are good for us but not after the morning I have had (see thread)
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2008, 08:38 PM
yes that makes sence mine fill my heart with joy