Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2007, 01:17 AM

Rescue remedy

Am i the only one to think of this as a waste of time?? i have large breeds and its never been effective? has anyone had any good results?? (i think mine would need 3 bottles a day for any result)... just interested in what you think..
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 01:24 AM
I think it's a bit like using it on people. It works for some, not for others. I find it great for me. I gave it to both of mine for the first few days when we got each of them..... They both settled in well, but I don't know if the rescue remedy had anything to do with that or not!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 01:30 AM
I think I agree with Evie here, it depends on the animal etc.

My cat had been very ill with self mutilation for a good 18 months - 2 years and the new vet prescribed a Feliway Diffuser (similar to a DAP diffuser) and after a couple of days she'd calmed down significantly. To the point where she's almost cured now (plus regular steriod injections). This time last year we were seriously considering having to have her PTS.

It may just be that your dogs are the giants of the dog world and therefore have different needs?!
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2007, 01:36 AM
Its just i read on another board (usa one) about giving a dane this to help it settle during a long car journey, apart from giving it a few days prior to work into its system which i have done i have never seen any effects.....
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 01:39 AM
didnt work on mine hes still manic in the car and the dap spray actually made him worse
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Each to their own I guess? Like I said, the Feline version of the DAP effectively saved my cats life. For this reason I'd always give it ago.

At the end of the day you've very little to loose with regards to natural remedies due to the huge lack of side effects. If it doesn't work for this pet fine, but don't write it off for every animal.
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 07:08 AM
Hi all.
I've used this lots on my Patterdale Jack, who hates the car. If I take him out without using it he is much more nervous than when I do use it. It by no means cures the problem but does take the edge off him.
I used it alot myself and found it does have a calming effect. Size cant be an issue, I used to use 4 drops for myself and I'm much heavier than your dogs!!!!
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Doesnt it have alcohol in it?
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 09:47 AM
I tried it years ago for my Lab, Ben, who was terribly nervous when he first came to me. I didn't think it did any good really but I do know other people who swear by it, for dogs and horse!! I think it may well depend on the person/animal. It's not expensive, just over a fiver I think, so what does it hurt to try?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 10:19 AM
It took Max's manic edge off when he had his operation and we had to confine him.

We gave him about 3 drops, 3 times a day for about a week.

He was calmer, i.e. not climbing the walls
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >