Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
andybirney
New Member!
Male 

21-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Remy, my border collie hates me!

Hello everyone. I'm very new to forums etc.
I have a 4 year old border collie my wife and I rescued nearly a year ago.(We met the previous owners who were expecting a second child) She is a beautiful and very clever dog. We were told when we got her that she was spayed which we don't doubt. I take her out every morning and we play ball on the local fields. I was her favorite up until last week when suddenly without explanation she started growling at me. She will not look me in the eye and cannot even be in the same room as me. If I do get to pet her, she yelps and may even wet the floor.
But what I'm wondering is, if she can still think she is in season even though she has been spayed. Whatever the voices in her head are saying, they seem to be blaming me! My wife is getting stressed as Remy wont walk if I am with them.
Any help would be appreciated
Remy's dad
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I would get her to the vet immediately and make sure she is not suffering in any way, it is very odd for a dog to change so dramatically, hope she's ok.
andybirney
New Member!
Male 

21-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks Random, the thing is we've had her in the vets, she's not running a temperature and she checked out ok.
She had this same kind of thing a few months after we got her and it lasted about three weeks. At the time our vet told us we couldn't fix her and he said we'd be better off not keeping her. I insisted we would give her a chance and it payed off. (Haven't been back to that vet)
I'm hoping she will get over whatever it is in a week or two. She is still very affectionate with my wife but totally blanking me!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Just a couple of things.

Firstly...when you got her did you notice anything about her behaviour towards the Man of the house.

Secondly... have you tried working her through this with treats.

Thirdly...When you last played ball with her, or at anytime in house or out of house, did you catch her unawares...what I mean....sometimes when my Hubby is throwing the ball it has caught the dog on the head or he accidentally trod on her foot.

Sorry trying to get a mental picture, as this doesn't seem to me anything to do with 'hold you responsiable for being spayed' this seems like a 'someone has done something to her'....before you had her I mean, and something you do reminds her or triggers something off in her head.
Even a type of clothing or a colour
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:42 PM
thats really bizarre, i am sorry you are having these problems.

Is it just acting this way with you or has it changed with the other members of the family.

Wetting itself and yelping is an obvious sign of pain and fearfulness but have no idea why.

You say it happened before, how did it stop before, was it all of a sudden back to normal and how long was it going on for.

I can't think of anything that springs to my mind, hopefully someone more experienced will come along soon.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I was also thinking, maybe you wear sun glasses in the summer and the old memories come flooding back when you put them on or she is fearful of them. Or maybe a certain hat this time of year. Just a thought
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Has anything happend recently?? If the vet cant find a problem with her then I would wonder what has been going on
It really sounds like she is scared for some reason (not saying of you - but somehow scared when you are about)
Yelping and weeing and the growling to me either sound like pain or that someone has caused her pain in the past and she is associating it with you??
What do you know of her past?? collies are so smart it could be the smallest thing she has remembered
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm glad to hear she has been checked out already, if she has been given a complete clean bill of health then I can only agree with what has been said already, sounds like something has triggered her off somewhere along the line and she is associating it with you. Is there anything that has hurt her or made her really frightened recently in which you have been the only person with her at the time? Could be something daft, anything really.

If she has been spayed she should have a scar on her tummy.

Best of luck!
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Ah poor Remy, I hope you can sort her out. It does sound like she is scared.
As you just never know what she had to go though at her old home.
andybirney
New Member!
Male 

21-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks Shiba
Strange that clothing has been mentioned, I put on a grey hoodie that I wouldn't normally wear and as I put my hand through the sleeve, I went to pet Remy. That was when she first gave out to me. I wore glasses up until 4 weeks ago when I got laser surgery. Maybe she sees my eyes differently now.
We were discussing treats alright, to get her back to talking to me!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >