Are you REAL ? l
The last time I looked I was
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The last time I looked I was
Hi Jackbox, going quite well this thread `aint it ?

Remember that immortal phrase issued by John McEnroe when frustrated by the Umpire ?

John McEnroe - "You Can Not Be Serious man"

John Bull
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Hi Jackbox, going quite well this thread `aint it ?

Remember that immortal phrase issued by John McEnroe when frustrated by the Umpire ?

John McEnroe - "You Can Not Be Serious man"

John Bull
Woman
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I agree with everything you say, but the fact is, the Pit bull and type are against the law, you can cry "unfair " till the cows come home, but until the law is changed and the "legal" breeding of such breeds has its head "above" the pulpit, then we will not see "temperament" and responsible breeding.

We cant keep using the "its the owner " and not the breed, excuse, although to a point it is hugely relervent, but you also have to take into account "nurture" v "Nature" and if you are breeding dogs for their fighting ability , unless you have a seriously experienced owner , and the probability is unlikely for most of these dogs... then you may be sitting on a time bomb.

Of cause that can be said for many many dogs and their owners, but you cant get away from the fact we have a law, and pits /types and the other breeds mentioned are illegal, no matter who owns them.
how sitting on a time bomb?? APBTs are NOT breed to have human aggression, therefore how can they be a time bomb? the only way they are a time bomb is if the owner doesnt treat them right, and trains them specific to be human aggressive, that isnt in their nature! so being a time bomb, would be the nurture side of he debate.

Of cause it would be, but then I would not willingly buy a breed that was illegal, and risk having it taken away from me.

The law may be ridiculous, but it is law..

And as always its the dogs that suffer, the law on pits have been around for a long time now, so why are people breeding these dogs knowing they may be seized and euthanized...

Do they care ofcause not , as always they are in it for a reason and its not the welfare of the dogs.
so what if they bring in a law saying boxers are illegal?? would you be willing to give up your dogs to get killed? if BSL keeps going, we will be left with NO dogs.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
how sitting on a time bomb?? APBTs are NOT breed to have human aggression, therefore how can they be a time bomb? the only way they are a time bomb is if the owner doesnt treat them right, and trains them specific to be human aggressive, that isnt in their nature! so being a time bomb, would be the nurture side of he debate.
Were did I say human aggression

Re.highlighted, I think I said that!!

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
so what if they bring in a law saying boxers are illegal?? would you be willing to give up your dogs to get killed? if BSL keeps going, we will be left with NO dogs.
If a law was brought in to include other breeds, I would assume it would be of the same as the one we have now,

All breeds that are classified to be ilegal, would be allowed to live their life out, as the Pitbull was when the legalisation was brought in.

I would NOT then, 15 yrs down the line go and buy a breed that I new at some point going to be taken away from me.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Did I say it was, I was referring to the fact the pit bull is illegal in this country...in response to John Bull comparing them to the USA!!
You used the fact that some people use pit bulls for fighting as a reason for retaining the DDA. I pointed out that the DDA doesn't prohibit dog fighting so it's a bit of a misplaced argument.

We cant keep using the "its the owner " and not the breed, excuse, although to a point it is hugely relervent, but you also have to take into account "nurture" v "Nature" and if you are breeding dogs for their fighting ability , unless you have a seriously experienced owner , and the probability is unlikely for most of these dogs... then you may be sitting on a time bomb.
As I have already said - 95% of dogs prosecuted under sec 1 have not been bred for fighting and are harmless family pets. I am basing this on the fact that 95% of exemption applications are successful and for that to hppen the court be feel assured that the dog presents "no threat to the public" and that won't happen unless the court is happy and the police raise no objection.

Secondly, if a dog has been bred for fighting - lets say it is 'game' bred - then it may represent a risk to other dogs but it will be even safer around people. dogs bred for the fighting ring are among the safest of breeds to have around people. The 'timebomb' reference is cheap sensationalism at its worse. This clip explains this well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXBUtBCEjo4

And as always its the dogs that suffer, the law on pits have been around for a long time now, so why are people breeding these dogs knowing they may be seized and euthanized...
Which dogs? KC registered Staffordshires have been deemed 'type'. Should people not breed staffs? The DDA does not concern itself with parentage. Several perfectly legal breeds share the same risk as the Staffordshire and any number of crosses of perfectly legal breeds can be deemed type. Just recently I have heard about staff/boxed, golden retriever/sharpei and Great Dane cross mongrel falling foul of sec. 1.
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Woman
Oh hell Jacko, I just cannot tell the difference on this Forum by name and never knew about that little marker at the top.

I`m a new guy on the block, but will improve. I just have to take my Pit Bull for walkies in the dead of night in case some snoop spots me.

Anyway the Umpire WAS a man, still a good expression though eh ?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Were did I say human aggression
if you arent talking about human aggression, then in what way are they a time bomb??

If a law was brought in to include other breeds, I would assume it would be of the same as the one we have now,

All breeds that are classified to be ilegal, would be allowed to live their life out, as the Pitbull was when the legalisation was brought in.

I would NOT then, 15 yrs down the line go and buy a breed that I new at some point going to be taken away from me.
i dont know much about what happened here, in the UK (im not old enough too), but in america many APBTs are just getting taken off their owners and PTS. considering what happened with Staffs in merseyside, i doubt the UK let all dogs live out their life.

Of cause that can be said for many many dogs and their owners, but you cant get away from the fact we have a law, and pits /types and the other breeds mentioned are illegal, no matter who owns them.
so why cant we use that excuse then?? its true, it is the owners not the breed
Freysterdewdrop
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I agree with everything you say, but the fact is, the Pit bull and type are against the law, you can cry "unfair " till the cows come home, but until the law is changed and the "legal" breeding of such breeds has its head "above" the pulpit, then we will not see "temperament" and responsible breeding.

I have an aunt in the USA. She owns and has bred pitbulls. Her dogs are so sweet natured and have never attacked another animal because they have been raised correctly. If someone was to breed fighting dogs but the pups were removed before being introduced into fighting I would bet my next pay check that the pups would grow to be lovely dogs. Nature vs nurture is a silly way to look at it. Other breeds that are bred for hunting could go to a home purly as a pet and live in harmony with what is ment to be their prey. I know a greyhound that lives with rabbits. The government looked at the dog fighting problem and chose the easiest solution, ban the breed. What they didnt see was the well loved pitbulls in family homes. They made the problem worse by banning the breed IMO
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
You used the fact that some people use pit bulls for fighting as a reason for retaining the DDA. I pointed out that the DDA doesn't prohibit dog fighting so it's a bit of a misplaced argument.
Did I, were did I mention the DDA??

I referred to the fact that people use the pit in the UK for fighting, and that they were an illegal breed...

Never mentioned the DDA.... that I think is your misinterpretation!
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »