Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 06:20 AM

What made you switch over?

If you switched over from dry/wet food to raw.. why?

I asked myself this question and for some reason I couldn't answer it. I've done all the research to get started, loads more to do. I think the final push was finding (or being told about ) the supplier then I'd made the decision to go the whole hog, got a freezer and now I'm a raw feeder. But all the thoughts behind it must have been subconscious because I can't remember actually choosing it (that all sounds weird) I think though that because I didn't clear it with my OH - it was purely my decision that that's why I feel that I didn't think about it much. I always put most ideas past him - as it concerns the dogs and they are ours but I didn't with this one. I know I asked him after my first order if he was alright with it - but by then it was too late. And his reply was - if it's good for the dogs then why not

So yeah - what made you switch over - or start feeding it in the first place (those who haven't ever switched from anything)..
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 06:37 AM
I switched to raw because I would rather know what my dogs are actually eating.

I do still use pouches on the odd occasion, I am getting a little store in for winter in case we get snowed in and my delivery can't get here. If any are left I will use them next year when I am caravanning.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I switched to raw because I would rather know what my dogs are actually eating.

I do still use pouches on the odd occasion, I am getting a little store in for winter in case we get snowed in and my delivery can't get here. If any are left I will use them next year when I am caravanning.
That's my worry too - I have a store of kibble saved up just in case..
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2011, 07:14 AM
I switched because my boy kept getting an upset stomach, once i started to research it all it just seemed the natural thing to do, I really like knowing exactly what they are eating.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 07:30 AM
I switched because on kibble, Jess didn't once have a well formed poo. It wasn't the squits, but you could never have a clear patch where the poo had been picked up as it was so sloppy. I tried numerous brands of kibble, none of which suited her, and for me, tinned dog food isn't an option, so the only other way was raw. I was one of these weirdos that puts a towel around their nose and wore rubber gloves (like the baby diaper adverts lol), but that soon went.

Jess has never looked so well.

When we got Harley, he was on kibble, and because I wanted to get his growth weight right, he stayed on it (with the addition of raw meaty bones/pigs head). That was until kibble started getting him into a habit of poo eating (which I believe is down to a lack of a certain nutrient). Then I switched him onto raw at about 9 months I think it was.

Harley has never looked so healthy

Any future dog that I have will most definately be going onto raw unless it doesn't agree with them for whatever reason (I've had a dog that was allergic to meat, and now one that is allergic/intollerant to fish lol)
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Because some commercial foods made Millie hyper and drink a lot well all the time actually. Pedigree even turned her aggressive and her character completely changed when switched to bakers though not a better dry food it did wonders for her.

I feed Millie RAW because I don't like commercial foods if everyone else feels thats what they should feed their dogs thats up to them but I don't like them. She also loves her food especially if it is fish Millie is really fond of mackeral. Which is fine with me because I can buy reduced price mackeral for 46p for whole one which lasts about two meals for her.

I feed Millie raw because I like knowing what im giving her and having controll over what I give her. I am budgetting at the moment so she is on Prize choice mince plus anything in the form of offal as its cheap anyway and from the reduced meats sections.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2011, 08:05 AM
I switched because of reading on Dogsey about all the benefits of raw. Pereg is not on 100% raw as I still sometimes give her a small amount of soaked kibble with mince and vegetables, but for those meals she has less than a quarter of the amount of kibble she previously had for a meal.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Back in the 70s when I first got a dog it was pretty normal for dogs to have raw meat - trotters, pigs heads etc. alongside the cans of food and leftovers.
I switched to processed only for convenience really.
But I still gave the dogs chicken wings because it kept their teeth beautifully white.
Then after a difficult time with a GSD who was sensitive to additives and colouring, I switched to top quality kibble - but had to `flavour` it to get them to eat it.
Then Raz arrived with a dreadful case of runny poos and I tried him on the elimination diet - raw chicken to start with. The others looked mournfully at his `proper` food so they got fed raw too. And that was it. They all thrived on it so I never switched back.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:22 AM
I have to say cost was a big factor for us. 50 euros a month for raw, more than 100 euros a month for dog food. To be fair though I'd wanted to feed raw for years but never been in a position where I could. We're not in the best position for it now as it's quite expensive over here compared to what people in the UK are paying but we manage. Rupert is doing excellent on it despite our weekly battle over him eating liver.

Given the choice I would not go back to feeding dog food, my hubby is happy enough to feed raw although leaves it to me to decide what to buy and has no objection to our next dog being fed raw.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Moon refused to eat kibble! After a frustrating year, I switched to raw and never looked back.

I couldn't find a kibble that agreed with Cain, he was plagued by his dodgy stomach. Much better on raw, solid poos all round
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >