Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Rescue: how bad is it in your area?

It`s pretty much the worst it`s ever been here.
The Kennels are full, the Fosters are full, the small ads are overflowing. The dogs that have been rehomed are bouncing back.
Is it this bad all over?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Yep!

We are mixing and matching from different areas as well. Hopefully have just found a home here for a mastiff cross from Kent who has been in foster for ages.

I expect it is a combination of Summer holidays when people dump dogs anyway and the recession.

Dreadful.

rune
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Full and some have waiting lists to take in dogs.

I have been browsing since losing Cherry and they are mainly Staffies and Staffy crosses-I would say 80% of the dogs are these. We won't be getting another dog for quite a few weeks/months and I need a non-shedding dog too.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Awful here, in fact, dire.

Something I was thinking about today actually, i was thinking maybe things might start to pick up now it's the summer holidays and people choose to get their dog now due to being off work with the kids etc for their settling in period?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 07:54 AM
I wish. There`s a lot of belt-tightening going on here.
If we can`t rehome a small quiet child-friendly Yorkie what hope have the rest?

ps - desperate to find experienced foster for young GSD x Doberman. Any offers?
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I wish. There`s a lot of belt-tightening going on here.
If we can`t rehome a small quiet child-friendly Yorkie what hope have the rest?

ps - desperate to find experienced foster for young GSD x Doberman. Any offers?
If I were closer and perhaps had a little more room i'd do it! Hope you can find someone asap.

Its awful, I rescued my Rott a few weeks ago, and my parents have just rescued a Staff x from same place, so sad seeing all the dogs in there, some you know will be there longer than others
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Not far from you, but still the rescues north of my area at bursting point!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Rescues are all ways full no suprise really people just dont do the research and even then inexperienced owners can't seem to prepair themselves for every glitch.

Battersea dogs home posted on their [a social network] page the biggest reason for re homing a dog is because of tennency laws so many places are tougher on people with pets its harder find a home what allows you to keep your dog and most rescues wotn let dogs go without a back garden which must be secure.

Its basicly down to people what cant take their pets with them when they leave home usually dont have a choice about which flat/house they pick due to financial difficulties.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Rescue has never been this bad here----how much experience have you actually had Pippam?

Certainly not the primary reason given here for giving up dogs---may be the reason for some that are dumped and picked up by the dog warden. That is impossible to know though!

It would be nice to see less staffies---so many of the poor dogs end up in rescue.

rune
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I know that our local Dogs Trust are inundated at the moment. I like to keep an eye on their website to see when some of the dogs I walk get homes. Not every dog is listed on the website but they have a lot more dogs listed at the moment than when I started there less than a year ago.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >