View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't think you always get what you pay for - a high fee charged doesn't always equate to an animal of quality.

There are some well known and very well established kennels who can charge high prices for their pups. Some of which advertise heavily, spend lots of money campaigning their dogs and getting themselves a huge reputation. All this costs money and I believe they have to try and claw it back in puppy prices and stud fees.

Smaller-time breeders who perhaps have fewer litters, more spaced out don't usually charge as much as the 'high flyers'. This doesn't necessarily mean their pups are of any less quality.

I think people can confuse a high price tag for higher quality and this is not always the case.

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I would love to see a min working qualification in the show ring for working breeds, someone who knows there blood lines, Health testing, the list is endless.

I absolutely 100% agree with this - totally. I think it would be of huge benefit to the working breeds to have that. Not saying we should all train our dogs to Schutzhund level, but certainly would welcome a working qualification of some ilk.

I always think it a shame such low numbers enter the Working Trials classes at Crufts - most of them go unentered,which I feel is a huge pity
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 06:15 PM
I dont think price has anything to do with quality, our first pei was from a puppy farm (which we didnt know at the time) but we paid the going rate at the time and we got a very sick pup, D cost the going rate and is a picture of health, now if we decide to take on this new pup, he is from the same breeder as D and will cost us half the price, purely because the breeder knows us and if we take a 2nd dog from her she will let us have him at a cheaper price, will he be any less quality as D? i doubt that very much!

Ruby was also from one of the top pei breeders, we didnt pay full price for her and the people who took her from us got her for nothing and she was also a picture of health.

So no, i dont think you do necessarily get what you pay for, not with dogs anyway
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 05:39 AM
I don't think quality can be judged by price BUT IMO quality doesn't come cheap.
Before my elks I had cross breeds and 'cheap pedigrees'...they all ended up costing me a lot of money...and heartbreak.
My elks have been obviously more expensive initially but have cost me nothing more afterwards than just general upkeep.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Following on from another thread.

When buying a dog - whether pedigree or crossbreed, working dog, show dog, pet dog etc etc - do you get what you pay for?

Does the more expensive the dog equal a *better* dog - healthier, better temperament etc?

Views please.
Nope - my fox hound dog cost £25 fmor a rescue centre. We got him when he was 10 and we had him for another 10 years, he was very fit, healthy and had a massive personality....although a little accident prone!

Dewi - my mum's gsdxcollie x whippet lurcher cost £90 (donation to the BLue cross), he is intellingent, beautiful and has been very fit and healthy all his life. He is 12 now and still has at least an hour and halfs walk a day. Every vet we have taken him to always rave at how fit and healthy he is and what a great coat he has.

Tonks is th emost expensive dog i have had so far (£200 - not much for a dog!) i think she is beautiful, intelligent, funny and perfect for our family she seems to have more little illnesses than any of the mongrels i have had though e.g. kennel cough, conjunctivitis, lump on chest (but that was from running into a tree ), spotty alergic reactions in armpits etc
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14