Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 07:57 PM

Safely back from the great adventure!

I had an appointment today which meant going to Dublin City centre having studied every form of public transport I decided that owing to the timings, I would be better off driving in. I have driven through Dublin a few times, it's one of those places which is easy to get into but doesn't like you to leave so makes it hard, a bit like Milton Keynes.
Travelled in late morning, veered right at Heuston station and found my way onto the Quays. For once, I only ended up in the wrong lane twice and actually managed to go over the right bridge, knowing I had to go straight on I was met with a fork and took the wrong one . Got totally lost but reckoned I needed to go left-ish, another feature of Dublin is one-way streets and the odd tram to contend with so after driving around in circles I saw a park, then a "P" sign so turned down a side street and found the only space available. I decided that I could walk the rest of the way, wherever that was! Luckily, the park was the one I was trying to find! After squinting at street names and my Google map I even found the place I was going to - just a few minutes walk away!
Then it came to driving home. Despite trying to follow the sun as I needed to head West, I went round the Southside about four times without seeing the Liffey once, nor any road signs apart from one-way street signs and when eventually the grip of the city loosened a bit on my hot and bothered car I found myself in suburbia so I kept going on the basis that I should be heading out of town one way or another! I found myself driving alongside the Luas track, at T junctions with no signs, down more one-way systems, even more traffic lights and all the time the sun kept shifting relative position.
Then I found myself, inexplicably, at the Irish Kennel Club I would bet that if I tried to find it I would still be chugging round the city as darkness fell. Aha! I went there once with Rose - so I knew which road to take, then ....... couldn't believe it - got to another junction, couldn't decide which way to go and got lost again.
EVENTUALLY I fell out on to the N4 pointing West so I was finally on familiar territory - an hour and a half from a point ten minutes drive away - then joined the longest commuter queue in history..... but at least I was on the right road. At last.
Next time I think I'll take the train!
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 09:38 PM
OMG Gill that just sounds like a total nightmare I totally know what you mean about the sign posts in our lovely city. There aren't any. My hubby who is from London complains about it all the time. Definitely take the train next time or drop me a PM and I'll give you directions and my phone number in case you get lost
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Gill, I remember arriving in Dublin on pedal bike from Dun laoghaire many years ago. We cycled into Dublin had some breakfast at a Burger King then continued west to Dunshoughlin.....I was saddle sore for days! I would have preferred to be in your car heading West regardless of the queue.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Glad you got home in one piece, what a nightmare.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Not all bad, Gill. I'm sure it could have been much worse..... (ever the pessimist)
Delighted you're back home safe and sound x
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2008, 09:27 AM
what a nightmare!!!!
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2008, 10:58 AM
You are one brave lady driving in Dublin

glad you got home safe and sound
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Brave or stupid!!! It's the best argument for satnav I've ever experienced.... same thing happened last October when I needed to go to the RDS three days running. Didn't get straight there any day, probably couldn't find it at all now. The World Show is on next April (dog show) so I have under a year to crack that one!