View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Maybe at this point I should point out that my family is from B'ham and the Black country itself. My Uncles now in their 80's recall the SBT Hay days. And themselves tell me that a dog that bite people was quickly despatched to the the cut.

But as Minty says maybe not all were. But today would we keep a dog that bite a human - without cause - I wouldn't regardless of how much I loved the dog.

Karen

Edited because I can't spell.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
In the "old" days fighting dogs that were not game found themselves at the bottom of the canal in a sack with a brick for company. Because the average working man who owned a fighting dog - could not afford to keep a dog that would not fight.
Unfortunately, that doesn't apply only to fighting dogs - it happens to Border Collies that don't have the instinct to work, too. After the days of BSE and FIM, fewer farmers can afford to carry "passengers" Up here, this is referred to as "seven and six", the pre-decimal price of a shotgun cartridge

Snorri
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-03-2005, 10:58 PM
Yes kazz hopefully manbiters were eliminated in the staffords as have been often said but them days are in the past and the breed had a few devout followers ...but in the present they are far to popular whitch is proving to be their downfall and in a lot of peoples hands who care more about the money than the breed
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 11:01 PM
but in the present they are far to popular whitch is proving to be their downfall and in a lot of peoples hands who care more about the money than the breed
and much as we love the breed and try to protect it , it will be these people who will help us lose our beloved dogs
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Exactly the trouble is I doubt the breed will exsist as I know it in 50 years time. I have no idea what we will have. Either a vesion of the bulldog - unable to walk let alone run. Or we will be banned forever the way people are carrying on ruining the name and the breed.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 11:07 PM
The thing is we as a breed can't even agree over the rotation of CC's so what chance have we got of agreeing on a way forward with the breed.
Soon gameness will mean nothing outside a museum.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 11:08 PM
I disagree
tombotha
Dogsey Junior

06-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Minty, their are conflicting reports as to whether the pitbull "chinaman" was a man biter or not. It is documented that he bit one person when he was extremely ill, full of worms and dehydrated. Some say that was the only time he showed agression to humans, others say he had to be handled very carefully at all times.

He might well of been kept even if he was a man biter though, as he was an incredible fighting dog who killed many of his opponents quickly and probably made the owner(s) lots of money.
tombotha
Dogsey Junior

06-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz
The thing is we as a breed can't even agree over the rotation of CC's so what chance have we got of agreeing on a way forward with the breed.
I don't think so, lots of people do still fight their dogs, and will continue breeding for gameness. Even those who aren't involved in dog fights admire the quality, and will still breed dogs that may well be game (from game tested lines etc).
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2005, 11:17 PM
Posted by Kazz
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by lel;

I disagree

I hope you are right Lel but why do you disagree?l
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »